Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the driverside upper wishbone on my 156 and was searching around for parts when I stumbled upon a full kit including lower and antiroll.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261055454654?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I'd obviously want to change both sides and don't want to spend a fortune on a set of original wishbones (as much as original parts is the best way to go).

Is it worth buying the whole set for the price of a single wishbone? It could all do with replacing. Also considering my 156 is getting on 11 years now.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ask for the country of manufacture. If its China etc, they will probably squeek form the start, though not necessarily fail an mot.

·
Banned
857 Posts
Perfectly adequate, and will probably last as long as OEMs if the bushings and balljoints are lubricated properly before fitting and the fitting itself is done correctly, although the naysayers will be along shortly to tell you otherwise...

·
Banned
857 Posts
Buy them from ALFA SHOP......OEM
Some people simply are not on the same planet. £324.40 + delivery for an equivalent kit of parts from Alfa Shop.

The car is 11 years old fergawdsakes! Is it really going to last the life of these parts?

OK, some some will say pay cheap pay twice, but when you factor in the labour for fitting you can get two rounds of the cheaper parts fitted and still be better off moneywise, and probably get more mileage out them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have had ebay wishbones on a few cars and always was told not to get them but never had any wear out or fail. Whatever ones you get also get a tub of this and use on the upper bushes.

Derek

·
Registered
354 Posts
Ask for the country of manufacture. If its China etc, they will probably squeek form the start, though not necessarily fail an mot.
Mine fitted a year and 12k miles ago are still fine.No creaking or squeeking.
Totally agree with r11co. I paid £100 less than the parts price from Alfa Shop to buy from ebay and have the whole lot fitted by my local Indie.
How do you know where the alledged OEM parts are coming from anyway?

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
If you're able to fit them yourself I'd say they're worth a go, after all what the worst that can happen?

If you're paying someone to do it that's a slightly different matter. A garage will charge the same regardless of the source of the parts, that's if you can find a garage willing to fit customer supplied parts, which of course they won't guarantee.

The job is doable on the drive with a good selection of sockets, spanners, ball joint splitters ect. The lower wishbones are a pig to get lined up, easier if you're willing to lower the subframe.

I did my uppers/lowers last spring with an eBay set (not quite as cheap as those linked to above), 16 months and 20,000 miles later they're still fine.

All the best

Pub

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I had a set of lower arms off ebay and they were very poor, but this was about 3yrs ago and quality may have improved since, i do my own work so cheap parts and repeating jobs due to early failure gets me out of the house and out of the wifes way, so i'm a winner on both counts.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I had a set of lower arms off ebay and they were very poor, but this was about 3yrs ago and quality may have improved since, i do my own work so cheap parts and repeating jobs due to early failure gets me out of the house and out of the wifes way, so i'm a winner on both counts.
yeah as long as wife does'nt read this you are a winner LOL.:lol:

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
How about the cheaply ones with poly bushes in them?
I just fitted strongflex ones in my oem ones as they were squeaking after 6 months.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
How about the cheaply ones with poly bushes in them?
I just fitted strongflex ones in my oem ones as they were squeaking after 6 months.
Its a good way to go but i found that it wasn't the rubber that had failed but the shaft the bush slid onto had been machined to small.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I'm not really sure why people seem to suggest with items like the wishbones, that fail so frequently, to go with the poor manufacturers originals. I say go for but do it properly with the grease or fit poly bushes from the off.

[email protected]

G

·
0 Posts
Once again :rolleyes: ..... The Law has recently changed for "pattern parts".... After manufacture of April 2011 pattern parts MUST be up to or beyond the standards of OE manufacturers in order to get:
A... a licensed part number equivalent to OE
and
B.... a trading license to sell in the UK/EU market

In other words: If you buy from a UK registered company a pattern part that import and sell on EBAY, this law is adhered to under trading standards with stringent application of removal of said licensing if the standard required is not met... Simples :thumbs:

So when buying from an Ebay shop:
Check that they clearly state an equivalent to OE part numbers and that they are UK or EU based

Your friendly VOSA chief inspector;)

·
Registered
936 Posts
Don't bother, you'll be replacing them again in 6 months time, so essentially you've wasted £98, if you only need upper wishbones, buy TRW ones from Alfa Workshop or E.B. Spares, or AutoLusso,

Alfa Romeo 156 Wishbones fronts

Don't be tempted by the value of the eBay ones, i fell into that trap and im having to replace my wishbones again after 6 months due to the knocking and harsh ride... the quality of some of them is awful, i mean the rubber splits and perishes in weeks and the mounting holes don't line up on the bottom wishbones...

Do the upper wishbones if they need doing first as they are fairly easy to do, 45mins per side if you've never done it before, it helps to pre-grease the bushed before you install them, they have grease on, but not much.

Tip: if you do change the bottom wishbones in the future, make sure you get new alloy bolts as they tend to shear or cross-thread.

And, make sure you tighten the bottom suspension fork bolt when the cars weight is on the ground, you can twist and knacker the wishbone bush if you tighten the bolt up whilst the car is in the air...

HTH

·
Banned
857 Posts
Don't bother, you'll be replacing them again in 6 months time, so essentially you've wasted £98, if you only need upper wishbones, buy TRW ones from Alfa Workshop or E.B. Spares, or AutoLusso
It's like Grahameo never posted! In fact, I don't think you bothered reading any of the thread before breenging in with your holier-than-thou wisdom.

I calculated that one complete set of "OEM" parts from Alfa Workshop will cost (conservatively) about £450 including fitting, which is an unrealistic amount to spend on an 11 year old car.

Even factoring in two lots of labour you could replace with the £98 set twice for that and still have some change, and you are not telling me that the £98 wishbone set will last less than half the time of the 'OEM's. In fact I've read enough about the originals to realise they are made of toffee, so by law (see above) the £98 ones are made of at least the same toffee.

The false economy would seem to be buying something that people round here punt as OEM!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Cheapies here and now problems at all.. you must, must properly dismantle and grease the bushes with red rubber grease as someone mentioned above- this applies to both the cheap and 'expensive' examples.
Mine cost £20, they're so cheap and easy to do that even if they needed to be done every 12 months, it's still cheaper than paying top-whack.
Mind you, I slow down to a crawl on speed bumps and potholes etc, so perhaps my car leads an easier life anyway.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Mind you, I slow down to a crawl on speed bumps and potholes etc, so perhaps my car leads an easier life anyway.[/QUOTE]
I'm the same so assume that's why my ebay ones are lasting so long.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts