Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well iets harvest season and for some reason the farmers have never heard of a sail, so they leave half the harvest on the road mostly around corners, the sound your tyres make when u hit the sticky stuff is crazy sounds like your wheels are running on steel grinding the bearings as u go along fing crazy will make a sound clip 2morrow iets at iets worst first school run

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
The worst sound I ever heard from my car was "crunch"... Then my diff was spat into my gearbox and I needed to fork out R28k for a new clutch, diff and cover plate... :depressed:

Speaking of harvest season: Vredendal area is the largest wine producing area in the country. You can google this. I didn't believe it either. I remember driving to work on mornings when the road was damp of mist during the harvest season, and having to fight to keep the car straight because grape juice is one of the most slippery substances to fall onto a road. It was always a hairy experience!

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Start car, idles perfect, drive car, drives perfect...
Then a bunch of keys falls into your prop...
To this day I still do not know what the sound is, it kept coming and going... But hearing metal on metal by the prop is a lovely sound....

·
Registered
279 Posts
The worst sound I ever heard from my car was "crunch"... Then my diff was spat into my gearbox and I needed to fork out R28k for a new clutch, diff and cover plate... :depressed:

Snap 2. Bang from the transmission on my 156 GTA moving thru an intersection, cannot find gears other than second, and the unmistakable smell of burning oil - bye bye diff. Had heard of this happening to 'busso owners' the it happens to you! Cost me about the same for the same repair. Still kick myself that I did not do a quaife then would have been the same cost or cheaper.

Second worst was a 'zzippp' from a 2 tuned 2 litre (Nord) Alfetta in full flight in 4th - engine dead - just the sound of the wind and realisation that your recently overhauled engine that you've spent rent and grocery money on is toast. Cause - a seized inlet cam (11.3mm. Lift) all (brand new) valves bent and damage to one piston crown and combustion chamber. I then learnt that you don't muck about mixing and matching Alfa cam journals from different heads and that line boring was invented by smart people for a reason! My first seriously tuned Alfetta was fun right up to that point:depressed::depressed::depressed:

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Dayum. And gerrit takes the cake! Haha geez a rod sized bullet basically

Reactions: DriveRSA

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
flapping sound from the rear of my motorbike as the tire blew out on the A3 during rush hour on a cold dark English winter evening...

did well to wrestle it over from the middle lane onto the hard shoulder...change of pants required :paranoid:

NO car can make a sound scarier than that! (although the idle on my GT derv is pretty awful):biglaugh:

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
busy fixing the door handle so had to do the school run with the lada it make a moer of a noise on iets own so no luck for sound clip will give it a go 2morrow
missing rods and half a piston must have left a brown spot ****, any sound on a bike is scary, drove the 124 fiat from Graafrienet to paarl gearbox went before Tousrivier drove the pass with car stuck in 3rd and grinding sound all the way home

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
flapping sound from the rear of my motorbike as the tire blew out on the A3 during rush hour on a cold dark English winter evening...

did well to wrestle it over from the middle lane onto the hard shoulder...change of pants required :paranoid:

NO car can make a sound scarier than that! (although the idle on my GT derv is pretty awful):biglaugh:
one of my many fears of motorcycles. You literally start out with a zero chance of survival under any abnormal circumstances, and go down from there... :depressed:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Overtaking a long queue of cars up AG de Wit hill with narrowest of margins in my dads Alfetta Super Turbo when the high pressure pipe from the turbo to the carbs ( high pressure carbs) popped off just as I needed those few extra horses to cut back in to avoid the oncoming traffic . Whoooosssshh followed by oh faaaaaark . Thank goodness they had a viewing point on the hill to aim for .

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
The sound of valves rattling down the exhaust of my first Alfasud after a cambelt stripped its teeth at 120 km/h.
Gertie's one is still the winner though :paranoid:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Silence...what I heard when the engine on my 156 v6 simply cut out in peak-hour traffic. Followed by something vaguely resembling popcorn hitting a pot-lid when I tried starting her again. The sound of 24 bent Busso valves ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts