Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is what I thought had happened. Luckily I had just run out of diesel. It doesn't go as far as you'd think once the light comes on.

I thought the light was an indication that only reserve fuel was left (9 litres) I thought I'd easily get 80 miles on 2 gallons, turns out I only got 66.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Lucky lucky eh, I'm always quite daring when it comes to a sparse fuel tank, always got away with it though, i always thought you'd have to get the fuel system re-bled if you ran empty, or is that just the older diesels?

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Is what I thought had happened. Luckily I had just run out of diesel. It doesn't go as far as you'd think once the light comes on.

I thought the light was an indication that only reserve fuel was left (9 litres) I thought I'd easily get 80 miles on 2 gallons, turns out I only got 66.
U bloody rascal...i thought for a moment you were well and truly screwed !!! ;)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lucky lucky eh, I'm always quite daring when it comes to a sparse fuel tank, always got away with it though, i always thought you'd have to get the fuel system re-bled if you ran empty, or is that just the older diesels?
I thought that too but I put a gallon in, it took about ten seconds to fire up, died after about 20 seconds but started up straight away, drove it to the petrol station filled her up and she's been fine since.

I also expected it to splutter or cough a little before it actually ran out, it didn't. I got an MCSF error and the engine cut out almost immidiatly.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Fuel pressure probably runs dry and instead of trying to pump fuel at 1400 psi it runs to safety mode and clinks outs.

Not like actually running of fuel in the old days :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts