Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

my 2litre 156 was running ok on the way to work yesterday but on the way home I noticed a loss of power low in the rev range. When pulling away or driving with revs between 1000 and ~2800 there seems to be no power, the engine "feels" lumpy and the car seems to chug along. With the windows down it even sounds like it is chugging slightly but that could be my imagination. When you hit 2800 revs it takes off again, the lumpiness goes and it flies along fine.

Anyone any clues as to what this might be? I hope it's not expensive (or worse, beginning of something terminal :wow: ). I need to book it in for a cambelt change soon so can do without more expense.

Thanks

Andy (a very worried 156 owner!)

R

·
0 Posts
could be a few things, coils possibly, air leak on the inlet, spark plugs. Could also be one of the many sensors. Someone with better knowledge might be along soon to help.

I would check the inlet air hose to make sure there's no splits or loose connections, and give the throttle a clean using carb cleaner. (be careful if it's an electric throttle, don't touch the butterfly just spray it well with the carb cleaner). Also you could take the top cover off the engine (you'll need large torx bits or ribe bits to do so) and examine the coil packs to make sure you can't see any splits, you can also start the engine and watch the coil packs to see if they're arcing at all but just don't touch them with the engine on as you'll get a nasty belt.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Could be the MAF Unit? My connector on my MAF is getting loose as it vibrates off the engine and creates symptoms like your experiencing I ended up Duck taping it.

R

·
0 Posts
If the MAF was coming loose the injector light would come on. Although if it was faulty it might not bring the light on.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys, I thought it seemed better as I left work today. But after about 10 mins it started doing the chugging feeling at low revs but picked up at over 3000. It's weird because when you stop and rev it without it being in gear you can't feel anything wrong.

·
Registered
16 Posts
definetly sounds like air flow meter is on its way out. but not the end of the world, various prices out there.be carefull of recons

·
Registered
111 Posts
Or if your brave you could try cleaning it :p.

[SNIP]
There are two Torx screws and they are a special kind with a little
pin in the middle, so you might need a special tool. Remove the cable
plug and then unscrew the two torx screws. Then gently pull out the
MAF sensor.

To clean the thread you can use electronics cleaner (a type that leaves
no remains) and spray it into the little hole on the end of the MAF (1).
It will then go trough and out the little hole under the MAF (2).

Alternatively you can just put the MAF in Isoprophylalcohol. Then gently
blow it dry or just let it dry for some minutes untill it is completely dry.
Now reinstall it and see if your car drives like it should. If it does, you
might have saved a bunch of money.
[/SNIP]

From another popular 156 website ;).

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys, I might try the MAF cleaning but here's an update:

Started off for work, car was running fine for first 10 mins. Seemed to get to temp ok and then the erratic chugging and loss of power at low revs started. After about 15 mins it stopped, car drove perfectly the rest of the way to work, about 30-45 mins drive. Some of this was in slow, stop-start traffic, was worried but it stayed fine!

Cheers

Andy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts