Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heard a definite "boing" type noise as I exited a roundabout off a fast dual carriageway.

The boing happened on the offside (rear I suspect) as the car levelled itself up after the weight had been over on the nearside of the car around the roundabout.

Shortly after that I had to go over a low speed bump and I heard the boing again - after that everything was ok, even tried going round another roundabout albeit at a slower speed.

Could it have been a spring coming off it's seat? Surely that's not good :confused:

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Ive had that noise a couple of times, very infrequently though, say 2 or 3 times in 12 months. Not sure what it is. At the time the antiroll bar was worn but not sure if it is related. Hasnt done it since it was repaired but because it was so infrequent couldnt really put it down to that!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yeah, I've had that, too. Always happens to me as I drive up a steep right turn ramp leading up to home. In fact, it seems to do it only when on an uphill incline and doing tightish turns. Perhaps the front suspension is unloaded and the springs wind up a bit, then release with a "boing"??

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
156GTASW said:
Same started to happen to mine - a few weeks later - the lower wishbone went.
Hmmm ... might take it in for a check! :rolleyes:

Cheers all.

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Prediction of scenario

"We've had a look sir, can see nothing wrong and we didn't hear anything"
;)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I`ve had that noise from the front suspension a couple of times. Just recently as I went over a small ramp in the road were the tarmac had been scrapped off.BOING....but doesn`t seem to be a problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm with PR on this one.

I took mine in to Alfa well over a year ago for the 'Boing' noise and nothing was found........

It happens very infrequently but seems to happen several times in close proximity and then nothing for 3 months or so.

I would love to know what it is but it doesn't seem to have any effect on the ride/handling.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
PR said:
Prediction of scenario

"We've had a look sir, can see nothing wrong and we didn't hear anything"
;)
You forgot: ".. and that will be £150 for our time sir."

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ha! Yeah, what the hell was I thinking of! :lol:

Cheers!

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
For an problem like that, its always best if you can demo it directly to the garage, having practiced what manouveres are required in the vicinity beforehand.
..so at least they don't have plausible deniability about something not actually being wrong.

·
Registered
271 Posts
pretty sure its the front anti-roll bar.

had the boing noise on mine, turned out to be this......replaced under warranty.

actually had the noise again with the new one. :-/

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Same started to happen to mine - a few weeks later - the lower wishbone went.
This is the diagnosis I received today from my dealer - not had the boing noise since my last post, but lots of bush type squeaks osf front.

Lower wishbone fitted incl vat £280.00 - now I think that is pretty steep. The part can be obtained on ebay for around £50. :eek:

Anyone else had this done recently?

Paul

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
This is the diagnosis I received today from my dealer - not had the boing noise since my last post, but lots of bush type squeaks osf front.

Lower wishbone fitted incl vat £280.00 - now I think that is pretty steep. The part can be obtained on ebay for around £50. :eek:

Anyone else had this done recently?

Paul

Don't you just love this forum - you can usually find out what the problem is just by asking - I think all Alfa GTA techs should read the forum at least once a week as "GTA" training ???

·
Registered
301 Posts
My 147 gta suspension sometimes "boings" too. I've given up worrying about it. Recently had uprated dampers/springs fitted. Still get the boing and other annoying knocking noises. I suppose that means I should change the bushes? :confused:

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hi just a thought has anybody thought about the top suspension spring cup bearing, this will cause the spring to wind up then release just a thought???

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've also had the boing when coming off a roundabout enthusiastically in my 2.0 JTS, but has been fine since thankfully!

·
Registered
567 Posts
I too have had the "boing" noise but as it has only happened a few times and not in any consistent way. I suspect it could be the front anti roll bar, but until there is something I can consistently reproduce, I'm not going to worry about it.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I sometimes get that '"bo-ing" noise. Normally between 4000 and 7000 revs, at which point the noise start to change from what I imagine sounds like a 747 to a Harrier jet, then onto the space shuttle a full throttle. Wonderful!;)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Had this noise on my first 147 GTA - BOING!!!, when exiting a roundabout or certain bends. It got so bad it was doing it over every bump, hump, regardless of what I was doing. Took it to my alfa Dealer and they fitted a new strut and spring (only to one side which annoyed me - thought they had to done in pairs? - no sir, we don't do that!!) which cured it........

1 - 20 of 20 Posts