Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good afternoon,

Do you have a gear linkage that pops off the gearbox?

Do you end up waggling your stick at the most in-opportune moments?

Then here is a McGuyvered fix for you.

My story - Well I ended up stuck in a Morrisons car park with a gearbox locked in neutral and a gearstick flapping in the wind.

On investigation in this area:

I found that the end of the cable from the gearstick to the gearbox selector had popped off.

It is a ball and socket connection and the socket, made of plastic had worn allowing the joint to separate with little force applied.

The socket unscrews from the cable. In my case by hand:

Now, replacements for the cable are available but they are both expensive and excessive.

I instead bought one of these:

This is a SuperPro Gear Linkage repair kit for Alfa and Fiat P/N SPF3124K.

It doesn't fit, not even close!

However, as it is that period near Christmas when everywhere that you need is shut, I had no other option but to make it fit.

So, I sanded the outside of the bush down so it would fit the hole in the original socket connector. I also reduced the height of the bush by sanding the face and the back too.

I got it down to a tight fit into the original fitting. I then fixed it in place using two part epoxy resin adhesive.

The hole in the bush was way too small to get onto the 13mm ball, so I also carefully sanded that until it was wide enough to force on to the ball.

Filled with grease and fitted. I needed a pair of pipe pliers to get ball into the socket and it is now significantly firmer in its action.

All in all, a £22 fix.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Good afternoon,

Do you have a gear linkage that pops off the gearbox?

Do you end up waggling your stick at the most in-opportune moments?

Then here is a McGuyvered fix for you.

My story - Well I ended up stuck in a Morrisons car park with a gearbox locked in neutral and a gearstick flapping in the wind.

On investigation in this area:

I found that the end of the cable from the gearstick to the gearbox selector had popped off.

It is a ball and socket connection and the socket, made of plastic had worn allowing the joint to separate with little force applied.

The socket unscrews from the cable. In my case by hand:

Now, replacements for the cable are available but they are both expensive and excessive.

I instead bought one of these:

This is a SuperPro Gear Linkage repair kit for Alfa and Fiat P/N SPF3124K.

It doesn't fit, not even close!

However, as it is that period near Christmas when everywhere that you need is shut, I had no other option but to make it fit.

So, I sanded the outside of the bush down so it would fit the hole in the original socket connector. I also reduced the height of the bush by sanding the face and the back too.

I got it down to a tight fit into the original fitting. I then fixed it in place using two part epoxy resin adhesive.

The hole in the bush was way too small to get onto the 13mm ball, so I also carefully sanded that until it was wide enough to force on to the ball.

Filled with grease and fitted. I needed a pair of pipe pliers to get ball into the socket and it is now significantly firmer in its action.

All in all, a £22 fix.
Been on a month. No issues. The fix appears to be permanent. There is no sign of movement or wear in the linkage section I replaced.

That said, if someone were to be able to make a 'proper' replacement insert, that'd be better I have no doubt.

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
I would add that when mine popped off the reason turned out to be a mixture of worn ends and the cable had frayed so badly it was snagging on changes causing the ends to snap off the box.. so its worth checking the smoothness of the cable operation before replacing the ends ..

·
Registered
234 Posts
Man I used to love MacGyver!!! Nice fix to what is I'm guessing a common problem. I don't understand how a cable is connected to it though, aren't gear linkages usually made up of ball & sockets connected to rods? Can't see how the cable wouldn't just bend - being a cable!! Or dos it just pull and is spring-loaded?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could easily my be the selector to all gears using gentle finger pressure on the selector at the gearbox end. No resistance from the cables.

Quite funny to watch the gearstick whacking into gear by itself through the windscreen.

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
Man I used to love MacGyver!!! Nice fix to what is I'm guessing a common problem. I don't understand how a cable is connected to it though, aren't gear linkages usually made up of ball & sockets connected to rods? Can't see how the cable wouldn't just bend - being a cable!! Or dos it just pull and is spring-loaded?
In the old days i guess yes.. but now most cars run cable shifts if not running something more complicated

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi I've just bought a 147 and the gear box has just gone was working fine moving into gears nicely just suddenly went now it stuck in first and the gear stick won't move over to the right side as in 5th and reverse any ideas?

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
Hi I've just bought a 147 and the gear box has just gone was working fine moving into gears nicely just suddenly went now it stuck in first and the gear stick won't move over to the right side as in 5th and reverse any ideas?
might be better to start a new thread will get more views etc

yes sounds like it could be a cable popped off or snapped even...

need to look under the battery tray area and see if you can spot the cables ends on the gearshift are present and if they are pop them off and see if you can pull the cables out. start a new thread and you will get help. might be worth taking pictures if your not sure

1 - 10 of 10 Posts