Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

This must be the most common subject on this forum, the front suspension!

Every single componenet on the front suspension of my car has been replaced within the last 6 months, by everything I mean...

Steering rack
Upper wishbones
Lower wishbones
Shock absorbers and springs
Anti-roll bar
Anti-roll bar drop links
Track rod ends
Suspension top mounts

Basically the car has started wandering all over the road, bearing in mind that the steering wheel remains completely straight. I personally fitted new upper and lower wishbones 4000 miles ago, had the wheels laser tracked as well, and all was OK. Now I am getting this wandering effect all over the place, obviously more noticeable at speed.

There is also a knock, which can be felt through the steering, but this only occurs when turning right, at around 5mph onto my drop curb to my driveway, which is around 2cm high! It doesn't happen any other time. Could this be a worn balljoint yet again? It may also be helpful to know that the car doesn't wander all over the place under braking, but if I even hit the slightest bit of surface water on the nearside, the car just pulls violently to the left! I have also had new Avon tyres fitted, and all inflated at the correct pressure! Running out of ideas now!

Any advice appreciated!

Anthony.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
check to see if one of the bolts on the anti roll bar has not worked its way off or loose.
Would affect the handling and cause a knock.
Check the bolt on the right hand side.
Stick your hand in and give the ARB a good shake.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK Thanks will do. Does anyone know if I can at least check the bolts to the steering rack, without having to remove the subframe?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Could be the joint at the end of the steering rack, ie the inner track rod joints under the rubber gaitors
You say you've had a steering rack. Was it brand new or a recon exchange unit ? The quality of some of the "motor factor " recon units can leave something to be desired.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Did the knocking noise and wandering start at the same time? Just wondering if it could be worn bushes in the rear suspension affecting the handing

·
Registered
640 Posts
My mech & I suspect I have the same issue. Same symptoms too, new shocks/tyres/bearings/springs/rear radius arms/recent alignment but vague steering around the straight ahead and wandering over uneven surfaces. Reckons there's a bit of play in the lower control arm/lower wishbone, plus worn bushings.

I am also getting a percussive knocking through the front end under acceleration/load. Have you noticed anything similar eldo?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts