Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best manual to buy and where, as I have to take the dash & steering box off the car, my memory of 'Hayes' books were that they were pretty basic. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Well to be fair if you think the Haynes books are basic you will be tad dissapointed with the offerings we have for these cars.

Basically there are two in circulation, one of them the Autobooks is easy enough to get, here's a link

Alfa Romeo Giulia & Spider 1962-1978 Owners Workshop Manual: Easy to Use, Fully Illustrated, Comprehensive Guide to Repair and Maintenance Autobook Series of Workshop Manuals: Amazon.co.uk: R M Clarke: Books

It's not too bad and it will help in many of the jobs, you probably won't find anything specific about taking the dash out, but it does have a section on removing the steering box. You first problem will be removing the steering wheel though, for that you need to either buy or make a special pulling device, they can be very difficult to move and easy to ruin.

The other book is a 'combined manual' which has extracts from the official AR manuals used by the trades in period. This tends to be difficult to find as it is only printed occasionally and seemingly by demand from groups, I find the combined manual to excellent in parts hopeless in other parts.

Also of interest might be the Haynes manual for the Alfetta, it could help with certain engine jobs as they are basically the same unit.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I use a cardisc for my Spiders, from this company. They list a whole range of other discs including "Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV 1967-1972".

On my disc there is the complete workshop manual, a guide to fixing leaks in the hood, copies of some brochures and other stuff. It really is a great resource. They are USA biased, though, so if there are significant differences between markets such as the SPICA injection vs. carbs for certain models/years then you might not get everything you need for the Euro version.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts