Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to rant somewhere and this is it. WHY oh WHY can't people plan roadworks all at once?????? In the last 18 months around where I live I have been literally hemmed in by workmans lights. No matter which way I turn out of my street I have to add another 10 to 15 mins onto any journey. Going to get a pint of milk goes from a 5 minute journey to well over 1/2 hour. First it was Thames water stating that it would be 9 months (was 12) then just when we thought it was over some other bunch of *&*(nkers moves in and starts up. It really is MADDENINGGGGGG!!!!!!!!! Ahhh, now I feel slightly better, until I have to go somewhere again.....:)

·
Registered
189 Posts
I think all road works should be done through the night! Unless it's in an area that will keep people awake!

And they should spare no expense to get them done as quick as possible!

And why do JCB's go out on the roads during rush hour?!!!

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
And what percentage of the guys (if there are any there) are actually working as you drift by at 0.5mph?

:mad:

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
And what percentage of the guys (if there are any there) are actually working as you drift by at 0.5mph?

At the two roads in Wakefield yesterday....none! It didn't help that the temporary lights were stuck on red at both ends and that all roadworks signs had blown over in the wind...so there was a 30 minute tailback into the centre on the way to work as two great trucks met each other on a blind corner after sitting looking at red lights for ages waiting for them to change:mad:

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
Near here (actually in Orpington) just by a colleague's house they painted yellow lines on the road, shortly after they came along and resurfaced gutter of road with green tarmac for a cycle-path. Then yellow lines repainted, then dug up road for gas or water or telephone -whatever! WTF. Don't they have someone who could co-ordinate all this?

V

·
0 Posts
The govt. were 'jolly well going to sort this out' of course...about 10 years ago...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,387 Posts

There's normally one man working while 6 or 7 people stand around and watch him :rant:

B

·
0 Posts
Not wanting to start an argument, but the flip-side of this is that roadworkers are sadly killed and injured every year by people ignoring the speed limits and lane closures.

Don't get me wrong, I find it as frustrating as anyone else to have to drive very s-l-o-w-l-y for mile after mile, but I do think "if it was me / my relative / my friend on the other side of those cones, I'd sure appreciate people slowing down...".

I don't even need to mention the make of cars that most often ignore the warnings...:rant:

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Not wanting to start an argument, but the flip-side of this is that roadworkers are sadly killed and injured every year by people ignoring the speed limits and lane closures.

Don't get me wrong, I find it as frustrating as anyone else to have to drive very s-l-o-w-l-y for mile after mile, but I do think "if it was me / my relative / my friend on the other side of those cones, I'd sure appreciate people slowing down...".

I don't even need to mention the make of cars that most often ignore the warnings...:rant:
I speak from experience here, some years ago I worked as a highway surveyor, I was actually clipped and put in the hegde by a van that ignored our warning signs, lights and reflective jackets etc.

Having said that, the authorities do seem to place road works together on any particular stretch of road at this time of year.
I think it's when they need to use up the budget before April, combined with the fact the most roads suffer some deterioration over the winter and need to be put right in the spring.
We are a crowded little country so any small delay inevitably leads to a huge build up and results in a long delay.
I guess we just need to be a bit more patient, difficult I know!

B

·
0 Posts
"I speak from experience here, some years ago I worked as a highway surveyor, I was actually clipped and put in the hegde by a van that ignored our warning signs, lights and reflective jackets etc"

I am sorry to hear that mate. It's a sad, sad situation going on out there: too many people in too much of a rush (as you say). :(

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You'll get no arguement from me that they are needed for safety and I hate to hear any story such as the one above about the van. Sadly impatience is all too rampant today.

My original post was really just because they always seem to dig up the same road around me over and over again. In fact the road was really nicely paved about 2 years ago and now it is so full of holes from work that they most likely will soon be around again from end to end for a repave!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts