Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening All,

I am wondering if there is anyone here on this forum that lives in the west midlands area of the UK that has a known working MAF sensor for a 159 2.4 JTDM. I think mine is in a bad condition but would like to test it out by putting a known good one in before I go out and buy a brand new one.
The symptoms I have are

- Power loss down low before the boost comes in
- Dodgy starting often when cold

I have unplugged the MAF and drove with it disconnected and it did seem to feel better but of course it's only running on a generic map then so it still wouldn't be at it's best.

If anyone could get in touch if they could let me borrow that would be greatly appreciated. And I would be willing to give a few beer tokens in exchange for letting me borrow their MAF.

Jack

·
Registered
236 Posts
Three simple things to try first.
1. Clean your MAF
2. Clean your EGR
3. Clean your MAP sensor.
All this can be done with a can of electrical cleaner.

If you still have the same symptoms then to confirm it's your MAF unplug your MAF sensor and take it for a drive, the ecu will revert to factory mode and it should drive ok.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Three simple things to try first.
1. Clean your MAF
2. Clean your EGR
3. Clean your MAP sensor.
All this can be done with a can of electrical cleaner.

If you still have the same symptoms then to confirm it's your MAF unplug your MAF sensor and take it for a drive, the ecu will revert to factory mode and it should drive ok.
Cheers :)

I have cleaned the MAF as good as I could. I have also done the MAP sensor. I tried unplugging the MAF and it did feel like it was running better :) That's why I was thinking of trying a know good one next. I might make todays project cleaning the EGR though :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
If you do have to buy a MAF sensor then the correct part number is :- 0281006048 and it's a Bosch part. The only reason I mention this is because when I brought my car they said they replaced the MAF and I had the same issue as you and it turns out they put the wrong MAF on so I had to buy the correct one.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So then guys. I have just spent the last probably 5 hours or so stripping the intake plate and egr off the car.

The intake manifold was totally coated with probably half an inch thick carbon all round. Which I used a bent over tea spoon to dig out haha.

The throttle plate was totally caked as well. This got a damn good clean up.

The egr didn't look that blocked. However I removed the 4 torx bolts to separate the solenoid from the valve. What I found was that when I pushed the valve open it didn't spring shut. It just wedged open then eventually snapped shut.

So I gave that a damn good clean as well using carb cleaner. I then drowed it in WD40 and worked the valve open and closed loads until it was working very smoothly. The solenoid felt like it was working fine anyway but I gave it a spray with WD40 and worked it in on that as well.

Gave it all a good wipe down to remove excess WD40 and then put it all back together.

It struggled to start the first time but once going it felt good! The lag has decreased a lot under 2000rpm.

I did try blowing through the valve. I couldn get a perfect seal when it was shut but I imagone it's a damn sight better than it was!

Thanks all :)

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
It struggled to start the first time but once going it felt good! The lag has decreased a lot under 2000rpm.

I did try blowing through the valve. I couldn get a perfect seal when it was shut but I imagone it's a damn sight better than it was!

Thanks all
Sounds good, throughly recommend blanking it off (see you were asking about mods!), it will get rid of almost all the lag.
Now you have seen the inside, make sure you give the map sensor a clean too (and spray some cleaner in the manifold) , will be more responsive still!!!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds good, throughly recommend blanking it off (see you were asking about mods!), it will get rid of almost all the lag.
Now you have seen the inside, make sure you give the map sensor a clean too (and spray some cleaner in the manifold) , will be more responsive still!!!
I will be getting a new manifold ordered from eBay soon and a blanking plate. Then when I got up to Dervtech in Manchester they will change it and along the way I can have a new timing belt and waterpump fitted and the EGR blank :)

Once that's done a map will be done to remove the EGR and possibly up power. Or I could leave it for now :)

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
QUICK UPDATE

Having cleaned the EGR valve and being amazed at the driving difference I was pretty happy. Although cold starts were still a big issue with this car. Often blowing smoke out the back and chugging.

I know that all the glow plugs are working and now the EGR is good. So I decided to try starting the car from cold with the MAF unplugged.
It was the fastest the car has ever fired up. And idled perfectly the second that it fired.
It has never started that well before.

So I am now going to just leave it unplugged for a few cold starts and see how they go :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts