Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had to vent, had an awful of a day at work.

Actually started on Saturday, when given my Bad Boy status I've been informed of another disciplinary hearing for me to attend. :rant:

Blood pressure up to the max, palpitations and my generally irritability from getting this joyful news had eventually diminished by Sunday afternoon.:thumbs:

Really bad day 'at the office', got me riled to the max again, so much so I called into the Drs on my way home (next available appointment 2/11 at 1900), so I've called in sick, so that I can sit in the surgery tomorrow and be seen as an emergency!:wow:

Looks like I can't be sacked for my troubles (spoke to the Union, who have a big stick ready if it does happen), but will find myself on my 'last life' for 12 months!

V

·
0 Posts
You give no details Milowokie, but it sounds like you need to work on your bad-boy image, and quite visibly, too. Otherwise it will follow you around and just give you more stress, a vicious cycle. In this job, and in any subsequent job.

At least you are admitting there's a problem, that's the 1st hurdle over.

It will be tough, but try to get back to work soon. That will show that the whole affair has hit you hard but that you value your job. Then convince your manager(s) that you intend to make them see you in a different light?

Good luck ;).

·
Registered
22,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First set of 'incidents'

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/way-off-topic/178172-stupid-rules-at-work.html
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/way-off-topic/181503-final-written-warning-im-a-bad-boy.html

Latest incident, which may see me out of a job if it goes 'the wrong way'.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/way-off-topic/186013-vehicle-theft-and-vandalism.html

Now I will understand if no-one wants anything to do with me. Being such a bad influence and all.

I'm glad Gitmo is being closed down, I would be sent there for an extended 'holiday' if I get any 'badder'.

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
Milowokie,

I've read this thread, and all your linked threads with interest. As a manager of people myself (though thankfully not for a supermarket chain!) I'm keen to understand where all this bad feeling toward/from management comes from.

Luckily, the firm I'm working for now don't have daft rules about things like carrying personal property and we are treated like grown-ups, which is exactly how I treat my own staff. When I first joined the company as a manager, one of the first things I did is explain to the team that we'll all get along just fine until anyone takes the ****, then I'll be treating them like children.

Four years later, and no-one's done anything daft, so I must be doing something right! :lol:

Now, don't take this the wrong way, but would you regard yourself as a combative kind of person? A bit confrontational when the need arises? Do you rub people up the wrong way, either deliberately, or by accident? Do you not suffer fools gladly to the point of being rude to their face, regardless of rank/seniority? Do you feel like you're being picked on or singled out unfairly?

If you answered "yes" to the majority of that lot, I'm afraid you might need to take a look in the mirror and work out how you can conform to the expected standards of your employer.

I know how difficult it can be. At school, I was known as a "bad boy", a reputation I quite liked. It kept the bullies off my back (they wouldn't dare start anything with me) and the chicks dig a rebel. It took me a while to shake it off once I'd left school (at 16) to make my mark in the world of work.

Amongst others, I've worked for the country's largest retailer (starts with a T) and had to put up with some pretty bull**it rules. But, at the end of the day, if you want to continue to get paid, you've just got to suck it up.

In my early career, I got fired from plenty of jobs because "my face didn't fit", or was told that "it's just not working out", or once even that "you clearly don't want to work here, and we don't want you here either".

Then, over time, I realised that rather than rage against the machine, if I knuckled down, worked hard and kept my nose clean, I could work my way up through the system, get promoted, become far more employable, get a better job, for a better company and start to have real influence on policy and procedures, from a position of authority.

I'll be honest with you, my career/life in general worked out a lot better once I ditched the donkey jacket with the massive chip on the shoulder. :thumbs:

Just my advice, from a bloke who's been there. ;)

H

·
0 Posts
Then, over time, I realised that rather than rage against the machine, if I knuckled down, worked hard and kept my nose clean, I could work my way up through the system, get promoted, become far more employable, get a better job, for a better company and start to have real influence on policy and procedures, from a position of authority.
Not always the case, in fact I'd argue that it rarely works.

Some companies treat their employees like kids, and some treat them like responsible adults.

The former will always have problems with staff, and they'll always blame the staff instead of looking in the mirror.

The prospect of changing the way I am in order to please a manager is one that repulses me. (That's probably why I walked away from jobs in my younger years) but eventually everyone finds somewhere that suits them, without such compromises.

And best of luck milowokie, you're doing absolutely the right thing involving the union.

·
Registered
10,569 Posts
Having met the OP, he is guilty of everything, you only have to look at him to know he is trouble:rant:

Hope everything works out ok for you matey:)

V

·
0 Posts
Hmm, I read the other links Milowokie and I can fully understand your frustration. Those are ridiculous 'rules' - be honest though, do you think they are picking on you because you initially 'railed against them'?

It's a pretty sh*tty situation to be in though, I can't imagine how bad that would be, working in the situation I work in - very many people working together in close proximity but all respecting and looking out for each other.

I feel for you. I hope your union rep. can help you out here ;).

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts