Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to do some work to my car. It needs lower arms, lower engine mount and brake pipes and fluid replacing.

I'm toying with doing some of it myself, but also taking it to be done.

Can anyone give me a step by step guide to doing the arms please? The rest I think I can do, the arms are the most costly to have done, but they worry me slightly.

How easy is changing the brakes for braided version too?

Engine mount is easy.

Advice please.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
for the arms, see Gazza82's site here - Gazza82's Alfa 156 2-litre Twinspark

worth bookmarking for the hints and tips section.

i would imagine the braided hoses will be a doddle for someone "in the know" - i've just had a quote of £157 (plus £10 fluid) all in to fit me front and rear discs and pads plus braided hoses all round and upgrade fluid.

while you're looking at the brakes, see my thread "rear brake check" couple of wear areas that need looking at. :)

M

·
0 Posts
The lower wishbones are pretty self explanatory once you get going.
I did mine in the following way....some things I did in a different order/manner to the guides, but you'll find out what works for you as you go along.

Remove under tray if fitted.
Use a trolley jack on a solid part of the subframe to raise one side of the car, then position axle stand on normal inward jacking point.
Remove chassis rail supports.
Remove wheel/wheel arch liner.
Split upper wishbone, remove droplink, remove fork to hub bolt.
Undo nuts securing the upper wishbone from inboard strut mounting.
Now you can remove the upper wishbone, which gives more freedom to move the strut around....this free play will be useful later.
Remove lower wishbone ball joint nut and separate....it'll likely be a bugger to split...persevere.
Remove wishbone mount bolts.
Now, with a bit of juggling, you can remove the wishbone.

To replace, it's pretty much as above in reverse. I found it easier to home the ball joint into the hub 'before' securing the mounting bolts....some people find it easier the other way around.
Torque all of the key bolts/nuts, ie upper/lower balljoint nuts, wishbone mount bolts, strut fork to hub bolt, strut mounting nuts. The droplinks don't need to be torqued IMO, you'll know when they are tight enough.

That probably sounds 'over simplified', but once you get into it, it really is straight forward. There is nothing 'difficult' about it, but it can be an awkward job.

:)

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Arms, engine mount and lower pulley being replaced by Laurence at AutoLusso this coming week. :)

Fitting of the hoses and fluid change will have to wait a bit longer :(, out of interest, which is the best fluid and where is best to order it from?

·
Vendor
45,772 Posts
ATE Superblue is good and not expensive. Plus makes bleeding a doddle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts