Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checked my fluid levels - everything good after doing 2000 miles after my last service.

However, I decided to have peek under the black foam sponge things by the bonnet hinges.

It's worth checking if you have never done this, as half the leaves in the local area seem to have got underneath and I had to clean out a large amount of decomposed sludge. Discussing.

If I do however need to make some high quality compost, I have the means to do it now...

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Just checked my fluid levels - everything good after doing 2000 miles after my last service.

However, I decided to have peek under the black foam sponge things by the bonnet hinges.

It's worth checking if you have never done this, as half the leaves in the local area seem to have got underneath and I had to clean out a large amount of decomposed sludge. Discussing.

If I do however need to make some high quality compost, I have the means to do it now...
Good tip!

Is this the sludge that's known to accumulate and block the drain scuttles?

Making it a regular clean out task might prevent wet carpets inside!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It may well be the same. When the rainy weather pauses for more then a minute I will see if the sludge has made its way further in than first thought.

Definitely worse on the drivers side as the foam doesn't fit as well there.

·
Registered
40,074 Posts
Not sure about on these cars, but on a couple of other makes I have had compost collecting behind the wheelarch liners. On one car it had actually caused rust to come from the inside outwards on the rear part of the front wing.

Worth a look when the weather gets a bit better.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts

Are you kidding? these get vacuumed out regularly on both of my cars, I thought we were all weird like that on here:thumbup:

Reactions: ALFADOIT

·
Registered
30,397 Posts
Are you kidding? these get vacuumed out regularly on both of my cars, I thought we were all weird like that on here:thumbup:
I used to clear out under the sponges after washing the car, squeezing as much water from the sponges as possible at the same time.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
It's also worth removing the scuttle trim (passenger side) and checking under there from time to time and ensuring the drain in the centre is clear, as it can get pretty clogged up. If it gets blocked you end up with water coming in to the footwells via the heater!!!

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
:censored: I now have sponge phobia to add to my GT OCD...:paperbag:

Damien.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm wondering if the sponges were part of the original design or added at a later stage when alfa realised a flaw in the design? They seem a bit of an after thought. They don't actually seem to do anything judging by the amount of crap under them.

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
I'm wondering if the sponges were part of the original design or added at a later stage when alfa realised a flaw in the design? They seem a bit of an after thought. They don't actually seem to do anything judging by the amount of crap under them.
On RHD Mitos they didn't fit them & it let leaves in causing noisy fans/bits of debris being fired at you from the heater vents

On Giuliettas they complete the bulkhead between the firewall and below the windscreen. If they weren't there it would be noisier and let a lot more rubbish into the heater matrix.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Interesting. I took mine out of my GT a couple of weeks ago when I needed to replace the pipe for the windscreen washers. The permanently damp sponges were beginning to cause the metal underneath to corrode. I haven't replaced them and didn't notice any problems during my 800 mile return trip to Scotland in some foul weather over the Christmas holiday. I also didn't replace the under bonnet soundproofing which I removed to get access to the washers, I haven't noticed any increase in noise or drumming there either.
By the way, if you need to replace the washer pipe, B&Q sell a suitable flexible 4mm pvc pipe which is ideal for replacing the oem pipe which had gone hard and cracked in several places. Only problem was that I had to buy 10 metres!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I also didn't replace the under bonnet soundproofing which I removed to get access to the washers, I haven't noticed any increase in noise or drumming there either.
Is that not there to minimise heat transfer onto the bonnet itself? Too much heat on the bare metal can't be good for the paintwork...

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
We should have a daily fixed thread...Wait for it......:jester:

Damien.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
I believe they are put in there to baffle wind noise. And yes they were a bit of an after thought.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have got rid of the sponges and replaced the near side with a dead rat and the off side with a potato. I can confirm my modification is equally effective at retaining moisture as the original equipment.
Was that a jacket potato or just a normal sized one? Or did you go for some mashed potato?

I don't have a rat, but would a possum work?

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
I have got rid of the sponges and replaced the near side with a dead rat and the off side with a potato. I can confirm my modification is equally effective at retaining moisture as the original equipment.
What about the wind noise and the heat transfer??

1 - 18 of 18 Posts