Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, had a great day today as my alfa has just flown through an MOT with only some headlight adjustment required and all despite the whole front end sounding like it might expire in a pile of bits soon! The problem ive got is that there is a loud air rushing noise in the car, noticably under hard acceleration seemingly coming out of the dash (even without the blowers on!) that wasnt there before. the car seems to smoke a little more recently and I didnt know if these two might be conected? like i said, its just passed its MOT so was thinking it might not be a split inlet pipe? any ideas much appreciated, its driving me nuts!

L

·
0 Posts
which head light was adjusted? perhaps they disturbed the inter-cooler pipe when doing the adjustment.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
get somone to rev engine by pumping accelerator to build boost up and listen in engine bay for escaping air ,pay attention to sleeved pipe to protect it from rubbing at top by suspension turret and lower hose by gearbox

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Hi all, had a great day today as my alfa has just flown through an MOT with only some headlight adjustment required and all despite the whole front end sounding like it might expire in a pile of bits soon! The problem ive got is that there is a loud air rushing noise in the car, noticably under hard acceleration seemingly coming out of the dash (even without the blowers on!) that wasnt there before. the car seems to smoke a little more recently and I didnt know if these two might be conected? like i said, its just passed its MOT so was thinking it might not be a split inlet pipe? any ideas much appreciated, its driving me nuts!
Mine has literally just started doing this on Wednesday. Only had it less than two weeks but it definitely did not make this whooshing noise from the dash before then. It is not the radio or heater fan. I guess (hope) it is one of the turbo hoses.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Mine has literally just started doing this on Wednesday. Only had it less than two weeks but it definitely did not make this whooshing noise from the dash before then. It is not the radio or heater fan. I guess (hope) it is one of the turbo hoses.
check pipes are securely fitted

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
My lower hose has a hole it seems :lol:. The bolt on the gearbox has nicked the pipe and you can see the fabric weave, just. I don't think it was really leaking from there, however further up the hose and on the opposite side on the inside of the bend was a split large enough to get my middle finger through.
I have applied a temporary rubber patch from an existing hose and used contact adhesive and tape to hold it until I get a new one.

Now the top hose I believe should be in one piece? Mine looks to have been sleeved about 6" from the connection on the engine side. Should it have this? I will get a photo tomorrow but think maybe a complete top and bottom hose is in order.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
My lower hose has a hole it seems :lol:. The bolt on the gearbox has nicked the pipe and you can see the fabric weave, just. I don't think it was really leaking from there, however further up the hose and on the opposite side on the inside of the bend was a split large enough to get my middle finger through.
I have applied a temporary rubber patch from an existing hose and used contact adhesive and tape to hold it until I get a new one.

Now the top hose I believe should be in one piece? Mine looks to have been sleeved about 6" from the connection on the engine side. Should it have this? I will get a photo tomorrow but think maybe a complete top and bottom hose is in order.
it could have been sleeved due to the cost of them !
have u checked the prices..ouch......my bottom hose had been done before i bought the car its gotta blue silicon hose on it now :)

Gary

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
it could have been sleeved due to the cost of them !
have u checked the prices..ouch......my bottom hose had been done before i bought the car its gotta blue silicon hose on it now :)

Gary
I have, £60 (ish) for the bottom and £80 ish for the top :(. My fix it seems was only temporary. It worked fine until I hit the motorway and even relatively gentle acceleration has lifted the patch :lol:

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Replaced the hose. Added some pictures of the damage. I assume something must have been thrown up off the road. The split is rather large as seen on the second and third photos. The first showing the small nick made by the gearbox bolt.
Car runs so much better now but prior to me fitting the hose today the Engine Management light has come on with a Motor Control System Failure. Will this need resetting or will clear after X number of starts does anyone know?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts