Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went shopping yesterday and managed the drive there fine it was after i had done what i needed to and was wanting to leave that the problem started.
the car will not start. rocker gasket had leaked into the spark plug wells and seeing as this has happened once before i figured if i got the oil out and cleaned the spark plugs all would be well. two spark plugs have broken on the porcalin bits making it quite an issue to get them out without bits falling in to the engine. got all that done and put back together and it still wont start.
i have also checked fuses and relays all ok. tried starting it with the maf disconected still nothing.
a friend was telling me that it could be sticky pistons as below 3000 revs it was quite lumpy running but above that all was ok. it would explane the heat in the spark plugs causing them to crack and break. the car has runn like that since i got it so i have nothing to compare to previously. i do remember thinking that when i got the car that it wasn't that quick on take off but thought nothing off it as it has a good top end just figured it was how it was set up.
any help is welcome as i am at the point that if i cant get it going that ill just sell it or break it. its just becomeing too much of a headache for me.

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
Sticky pistons...? :D

There's only two things you need to check.. fuel and sparks.

Stick an old spark plug on the head (not the cover) so it's earthed. and connect one of the HT leads to it. When you crank the engine, it should be sparking.

If it doesn't.. try the others.

They should all spark. If one doesn't, it's the plug or the HT lead to the coil. If a pair don't, it's more likely to be the coil. If several don't... it's weird :D but if all of them don't, then it's not the coils or plugs.. more likely the TDC sensor or the relay to the ECU.

If sparks look good, check the benzina. First of all, is there fuel being delivered to the injectors? Disconnect the petrol feed pipe from the pressure regulator and (catching the petrol in a rag or in an aerosol cap), get someone to crank the engine. No benzina means it's the fuel pump or the relays that activate it.

If there's benzina and sparks, you need to check if the injectors are squirting. Stick a bulb into one of the injector plugs (use one of those all-glass bulbs with the dangly metal loop tangs...) and see if it flashes when you crank the engine. If the injector doesn't have juice, check the others... If they all don't work it's a relay problem... If they all don't work and you don't have sparks either, then it's the TDC sensor.

Forget any other sensor or probe etc. They just make the engine run efficiently rather than whether it starts or not.

Also.. check the fuel shut-off switch under the front passenger seat.. Press it in if it's poking up.. and check that the fuel pump supply is flashing when you crank the engine.. If it doesn't it means the fuel pump relay is shagged or the shut-off switch isn't passing on the current, even if it's pressed in.

Don't give up though... sounds like just a dodgy connection somewhere or a duff TDC sensor.. :)

Ralf S.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers ralf you pointed me in the right direction and it was the centarl locking relay. so its running again.:) Still thinking about selling though.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
iv spent that much on it in the past year i could have got a decent 156 or such like. all that money and its still not 100%. iv still got to get a new thermostst in to it and get the exhaust sorted (does sound nice though :lol:). i dont have a garage meself and working nights meens getting in to my mates to do the work is quite a hassle for me and him as hes trying to get a car going for himself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts