Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys. I bought a 10 plate alfa gulietta with an issue. It came up as cylinder nr2 not having compression. I have read up on it and as suspected it was the multiair unit. (I think). I took it off to find 2 of the threaded nuts behind the springs loose and one of the inlets at the bottom with no circlip.

Threadlocked the nuts back in luckily the threads were undamaged and refitted the unit.

Now she won't start!

I tried cranking numerous times to let the oil pressure build up with no avail. It does sound like it wants to but its not getting there.

Took out the plugs and spun it quicker like this and still not helped.

I have searched and read few posts and it seems to be common after a unit change. But for most it takes 5 cranks to get it to start again.

I have read about taking out some oil out of the engine and pouring it up to the top of the engine. Do I hold down the release ball bearing on the top of the multiair and try to pour the oil directly there or just anywhere?

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Use a 60 ml. syringe to force oil into the unit at the release ball bearing then all of the holes along the top of the multi air unit should start to release oil in turn, if you can put a finger over each hole when it does so that the oil is forced onto the next one; it takes about 240 ml.

You did remember the electrical connections didn't you.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Use a 60 ml. syringe to force oil into the unit at the release ball bearing then all of the holes along the top of the multi air unit should start to release oil in turn, if you can put a finger over each hole when it does so that the oil is forced onto the next one; it takes about 240 ml.

You did remember the electrical connections didn't you.
That's interesting. Is that always the procedure after fitting a new unit?

Could that need doing if a car is left sitting for a long time?

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
It was what I did it and I'm sure I must've read it somewhere. May need doing after a long rest period but even if oil has drained away sufficient should still be held within the unit to operate sufficiently to get started.

Something else to try is to remove the oil filler cap, and while the ball valve is depressed with a probe, turn the engine over, an assistant is needed obviously. That should bleed air from the unit allowing the oil in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys. I did try all of the above even took the unit apart again still no luck. Its getting oil and loads of it but why won't it even start now its a mistery

1 - 7 of 7 Posts