C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
FIXED NOW 17/11/08- see later post

Hey guys,
I need some info on what this could be.

Symptoms:
1)My car accelerates ok but as soon as 5200rpm is hit the car sudddenly stops accelerating (like a smooth limit, kind of pulsates)
Occasionally breaks through but only slowly or not at all. (edit: Now gets through but hesistates)

2)Cars been running cold 50-65°. removed tstat yesterday, found it sat 1mm off seat so i removed some of the expanding wax stuff so that the rod slid further up. Checked it in a pot and now closes fully. Reinstalled in car, now runs at 70° (edit; Now new one fitted, runs 73gauge=85 ecu, to 90 gauge 95ecu)

3)Annoying Cold starts where depsite applied throttle, won't accelerate, engine pops if additional throttle. Goes away after 20 seconds (edit: still happens, worse on hot days as summer is upon us here in nz)

4)Full throttle is weaker than say 80-90 % throttle

History:
Serviced 2 months ago oil, oil and air filter, plug check, cleaned maf. Fine before service, felt it was lacking balls after service but may have been placebo.

edit: new thermostat fitted)

Things I've tried:
have tried driving hard with MAF disconnected, although rougher elsewhere, this didn't change the high rpm symptoms. New thermostat and correct running so this not an issue.

I wanna know what you guys think.........

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
1) You need a new MAF sensor
2) You need a new thermostat. (it should run at 90)
3) see "1"

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MAF - That was a suggestion elsewhere too. But I tried driving without the MAF connected and fault was still there.

I think your right about the thermostat - cold starts woldn't induce an rpm and throttle limit would they?

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Just noticed you said "plug check" during the service.
Why was that?
You can't regap them, you just leave them alone for 5-years/60000miles/100000km then replace them.
Also, why did they clean the MAF if it was running ok...?

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Definatly the MAF, I had the same problem on my first 156:D

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They looked at the 3 front plugs, they weren't showing any signs of issues so they didn't replace them.

Yeah MAF thing annoys me as it was running fine. They were trying to be helpful i think. worrds were something like "Alfas tend to have issues with the MAF so we gave it a clean for ya"

I'm more - "if it aint broke, dont fix it" mentality

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No idea - only owned car 2 and half months. Car imported into NZ from japan a year ago - no history

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
They looked at the 3 front plugs, they weren't showing any signs of issues so they didn't replace them.
:cry: :cry: :cry:

Perhaps the rears are the originals.Everyone has done this:D

Yeah MAF thing annoys me as it was running fine. They were trying to be helpful i think. worrds were something like "Alfas tend to have issues with the MAF so we gave it a clean for ya"
Yep that could have knackered it.

I'm more - "if it aint broke, dont fix it" mentality
:thumbs: :D Me 2

Pomeo

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
No idea - only owned car 2 and half months. Car imported into NZ from japan a year ago - no history
How old is the car?

If you don't know, send me the chassis number in a PM.

Also, what is the total mileage?

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
1998, 76000km
Has it had the cambelt replaced yet?

If you don't know, CHANGE IT, plus the tensioners and fit a GTV 3.0V6 waterpump.

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
Has it had the cambelt replaced yet?

If you don't know, CHANGE IT, plus the tensioners and fit a GTV 3.0V6 waterpump.
Exactly what david has advised.And the plugs too.
Pomeo

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah was planning to do Cambelt etc this month - until this other stuff became an issue. Wanna get this sorted first. Thanks for recommending GTV pump - Will look into the differences outside of this thread

Thanks everyone for replying so fast - this is a great forum from what ive seen so far

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
GTV 3.0 pump has a metal impeller, all the other V6 pumps have plastic impeller and crack/melt.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Since service it wasn't a sudden change. It's just become worse and worse over time.

If it was the MAF then the high rpm limit would have disappeared when the maf was disconnected eh?

My theory so far is
Running cold cos of tstat -> rich mixture which overworks the cat -> catatytic converter either blocked or molten due to being overworked by rich exhaust.

Others theories-
Needs to be ecu reset since maf was cleaned (reset)
injectors blocked, fuel filter blocked (remove and clean, replace)
Running in cold mode so limiting throttle and rpm (replace thermostat)
Blocked CAT (replace with resonator)
And of course just MAF f***ed (replace or clean)

Still keen to hear more thoughts on this.
we have no emissions limits here so will get cat removed anyway, and will source and replace thermostat with new one. If they don't fix it then I guess the costs will start to skyrocket

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
There isn't a serviceable fuel filter.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah apparently it's an expensive replacement too. Am avoiding changing fuel filter like the plague (hey isn't that what the lemon guide said about the 156 - haha they way way too conservative with their recommendations)

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Yeah apparently it's an expensive replacement too. Am avoiding changing fuel filter like the plague
Blocked fuel filters has never come up as a problem on here.
So don't bother with that.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts