Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, Just got a 2004 Alfa GT and it had a few problems (Needed new MAF, Thermostat sensor, the turbo to airbox inlet pipe and glow plugs. Also I've got a thermostat being delivered Monday as this wasn't working at all, it was stuck open because the pipes either side were cold but rad pipe was boiling hot.)
All the warning lights are now off except the engine warning light and a "Motor control unit failure" message.
The car sounds great and revs lovely until it gets to about 3500RPM (No black/white smoke and sounds nice and powerful) and it won't go past that mark.
Is it in a "limp" mode?
I'm guessing that perhaps the turbo isn't engaging but I don't know a simple way to test this. I don't have any code reading equipment. I am going to get a diagnostic but I was hoping that before I do that I could test the turbo, Does anyone have any advice for that?
Or if I'm wrong about the turbo then what else could it be?
All advice appreciated.
Thanks for reading.
Hope this was enough info :lol:

·
Registered
681 Posts
In this case, I'd advise to touch nothing until you get a diagnostic. Otherwise you could be doing more harm than good.

Ummmm, also I don't know about the UK, but here in Oz, the only thing 2004 GTs were fitted with were 3.2 V6 engines ????? Turbo? Glow plugs?

Baz

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
In this case, I'd advise to touch nothing until you get a diagnostic. Otherwise you could be doing more harm than good.

Ummmm, also I don't know about the UK, but here in Oz, the only thing 2004 GTs were fitted with were 3.2 V6 engines ????? Turbo? Glow plugs?

Baz

Turbodiesel. Quiet popular here in the 1st world :cheese:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I need to buy a code reader, I thought I'd sorted it. I found vacuum pipe off of turbo put back on still wont rev past 3500 think ECU might be in limp mode???
Any advice on what code reader to get seen some on eBay from a tenner

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok just bought a code reader from buy-me-from-dan ,hope it helps thankd for the advice

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think I need to buy a code reader, I thought I'd sorted it. I found vacuum pipe off of turbo put back on still wont rev past 3500 think ECU might be in limp mode???
Any advice on what code reader to get seen some on eBay from a tenner
leave the battery off for an hour (or over night if you so wish) if the motor control system failure light comes back on you know you havent cured the problem.

simple simon.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well... got the diagnostic cables this morning and the car had 9 codes. I cleared the codes and now only 3 have stayed. My "repairs" seemed to have worked :cool:. The car still won't rev past 3500 UNLESS I clear the codes while it's running, then 2 of the codes dissapear and it revs all the way to red line but when I let the revs off the 2 codes return and the revs won't pass the 3500 mark gain.
The 2 codes are:
P0235 Boost pressure sensor
P0069 Atmospheric pressure sensor

I know the boost pressure sensor can be replaced easy enough but any advice on how to test it would be helpful.
Does anybody know what reading should show on my multimeter if this is working correctly (What colour wire do I connect the multimeter too for the live feed) ?

The other code that won't go away is:
P0115 Water sensor (Circuit Malfunction)

I changed the Thermostat sensor twice and changed the thermostat as well before having this diagnostic reading. It seems like the sensor connector from the car is faulty. Again, How do I test this with a multimeter (what colour is the live wire) ?

It feels very close to being done. All help is appreciated. Thank You.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hi yea cleaned mao sencor,
this is first time ive ever used a code reader so still trying to learn
what it will and wont do
thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
could u tell me what colour lead to use,
have red yellow and green ,have only tried the green lead.
didnt c options for sensors,
sorry to be a plank but never used this equipment b4
thanks

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Not sure myself, whichever gets you into the codes, so probably the green. Then go to parameters tab in the software, its self explaining from there.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
hope this will help here are some resistances pin to pin with sensor off car I did a few years ago for an old suspect sensor and also a brand new bosch
just copied out of original thread
some good news, the new bosch map sensor measured completly different values on fes.
did a quick spot check old and new measuring resistance on pins.(they might be usefull to someone one day as quick test)
new bosch 3 bar sensor(values with multimeter on 20k ohms scale, @ approx 15*c, *approx 984mb atmospheric)
new sensor old sensor(read 60-70mbar high at atmos)
pin 1 to 2= 2.63 = 2.37
pin 1 to 3= 5.94 = 6.13
pin 1 to 4= 5.52 = 5.96
pin 2 to 3= 8.62 = 8.52
pin 2 to 4= 8.19 = 8.33

[email protected]*c on fes also

with this info a quick pin to pin resistance check should have similar resistances (will vary with temperature, if you can do it when at 15c it would be most accurate, with those codes im guessing your expecting a short or open circuit somewhere(sensor or loom)
also this might help
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...zYHoCg&usg=AFQjCNG4yhw_omxNG1DExBnm_9BMbbacJg

also looking above you have water temp issue a resistance check across that would be quick and easy ish I think they are only a fiver or so unless theres a power feed or return issue or loom issue?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hi guys, Just got a 2004 Alfa GT and it had a few problems (Needed new MAF, Thermostat sensor, the turbo to airbox inlet pipe and glow plugs. Also I've got a thermostat being delivered Monday as this wasn't working at all, it was stuck open because the pipes either side were cold but rad pipe was boiling hot.)
All the warning lights are now off except the engine warning light and a "Motor control unit failure" message.
The car sounds great and revs lovely until it gets to about 3500RPM (No black/white smoke and sounds nice and powerful) and it won't go past that mark.
Is it in a "limp" mode?
I'm guessing that perhaps the turbo isn't engaging but I don't know a simple way to test this. I don't have any code reading equipment. I am going to get a diagnostic but I was hoping that before I do that I could test the turbo, Does anyone have any advice for that?
Or if I'm wrong about the turbo then what else could it be?
All advice appreciated.
Thanks for reading.
Hope this was enough info :lol:

I had simular issue with mine that it would not rev past 3-4 rpm, it turned out being a cracked rocker cover..had that replacaced which solved the problem

1 - 19 of 19 Posts