Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a strange problem with my 156 all of a sudden. I cannot rev past 3500 rpm. Whilst in gear when i am stopped and in neutral i can rev all the way up to the redline normally but whilst driving in gear the car won't go above 3500 and its very sluggish.

I have tried reading the fault codes but there are none stored.

At first I thought my clutch was slipping because thats what it feels like but that should be the opposite problem where it will rev right up but won't transfer the power.

99' 156 TS not selespeed

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Try removing the MAF (on the air intake disconnect the cables) and report back.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Isnt that what disconnect means?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Brownbox has already said it - Blocked "CAT" or silencer.

Remove the 3 nuts from the exhaust pipe outlet from the turbo pre cat. Then run the car and if it goes above 3500 rpm its the exhaust system blocked probably your CAT.

·
Registered
9,305 Posts
Testing the MAF is usually first on the list and much easier! ;) And it's a TS on the first post, not a turbo.

Getting the manifold undone on a '99 manifold might be easier said than done if it's not been removed recently. You could end up with snapped bolts/studs.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok an update. I cleaned the MAF sensor and throttle body and the car has come back to life. Much more power than its had for awhile.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
me too. Was embarrassing crawling onto the motorway with a top speed of 70kph lol. You can feel the "typical alfa" looks from other drivers

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
You should hold up a sign that says :-

"Poor Ignition System Designed By Ze Germans"

·
Registered
9,305 Posts
You jinxed mine! ;)

Drove over 200 miles today and when I got home pulled up then had to go out again within a couple of mins. No power ... got to around 3k and that was it. Ominous rattling noise from exhaust ... could be cat core has collapsed. Had that on our Pug diesel and same symptoms ...

So having picked up replacement drivers seat (SP2) and replaced battery in son's non-starting Clio (hence going straight out again), Alfa has thrown toys out of pram. Must have been because I took it to Milton Keynes :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts