Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I've got a 2000 Spider 2.0 TS. Unfortunately, the radio display is almost completely broken (LCD seems to be borked; display is black except for one small corner).

When I turn the radio on, the antenna goes up but nothing happens. I've tried turning the volume up and pressing "seek" to scan for stations, but I get no sound. I've also tried just hitting various buttons in case it's in a weird mode.

I can see the display change a little in the one corner where the LCD isn't broken, so something's happening when I turn it on. But I just can't figure out how to get sound out of it.

Any suggestions as to which buttons might be the most helpful would be appreciated :)

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Is it the original head unit or an after market fit ?. I would check the connections behind the unit first and then the aerial connection in the boot

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@AnthonyJohn - As far as I know it's stock. Since the aerial is working, I'm not sure why you think the connections might be loose...?

@pkr - Possible. The LCD has been broken since I bought the car last year, and I know the radio was working at one point since I bought it. The battery hasn't been drained since then, but I don't have heaps of confidence in the electrical systems on this car so your suggestions makes sense. I'll see if I can dig up the radio code in the documentation I was given and figure out how to input it with no visual feedback.

·
Administrator
23,081 Posts
I'll see if I can dig up the radio code in the documentation I was given and figure out how to input it with no visual feedback.
From memory the display shows "Enter Code" - so just punch in the numbers when you turn the radio on - good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Botheration. Looks like I wasn't given the code when I bought the car. Any way to figure it out short of pulling the radio and using a sketchy website? Ideally with the radio still in the car, because I'm lazy? :)

·
Registered
389 Posts
If you are happy taking the radio out and lifting the lid, you will find the front panel connects to the main board by a small ribbon cable that fits in a push fit connector. Sounds like it may have come adrift and just needs re-seating. The connector has a small bar that needs moving towards the cable by about a mm to release the cable, and pushing back in to grip it when re-seated. Also make sure the removable part of the front panel (to the left of the cassette bay with the pre-set buttons) is seated properly.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
In NZ, we have a number of Jap import Spiders. These came with a Kenwood single-CD unit with 'Alfa Romeo' script printed in red.

The NZ-new cars came with a Clarion single-CD head unit having a predominantly black fascia and no Alfa Romeo branding, but there was an Alfa Romeo booklet for it in the handbook pack.

Either way, an LCD that turns black is generally broken/can't be repaired, and either of the above stereos is nothing special - you are better off replacing it with something aftermarket, which will add features like Bluetooth and USB/iPod connectivity.

I suggest trying to get something as non-shiny as possible, with a decent dot matrix display (not the modified seven-segment/Starburst displays you see on cheap stereos). I'm using an Alpine CDE-148EBT in my Gtv.

-Alex

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In NZ, we have a number of Jap import Spiders. These came with a Kenwood single-CD unit with 'Alfa Romeo' script printed in red.

The NZ-new cars came with a Clarion single-CD head unit having a predominantly black fascia and no Alfa Romeo branding, but there was an Alfa Romeo booklet for it in the handbook pack.

Either way, an LCD that turns black is generally broken/can't be repaired, and either of the above stereos is nothing special - you are better off replacing it with something aftermarket, which will add features like Bluetooth and USB/iPod connectivity.

I suggest trying to get something as non-shiny as possible, with a decent dot matrix display (not the modified seven-segment/Starburst displays you see on cheap stereos). I'm using an Alpine CDE-148EBT in my Gtv.

-Alex
Thanks for the advice, Alex! Mine is a 6-cd changer (with the CD unit in the boot). As far as I know it's original equipment. Looks like it shouldn't be too difficult to replace, but so far I haven't seen the need.

(I don't much care that the display is all black generally, since I've been able to figure out everything I need to do up until now just by pushing buttons).

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Thanks for the advice, Alex! Mine is a 6-cd changer (with the CD unit in the boot). As far as I know it's original equipment. Looks like it shouldn't be too difficult to replace, but so far I haven't seen the need.

(I don't much care that the display is all black generally, since I've been able to figure out everything I need to do up until now just by pushing buttons).
Good one :)
I'm still curious as to what stereo is fitted to your car. My ex-Japan Spider and my ex-Japan Gtv both came with a six-disc changer in the boot, now that you mention it (I had forgotten!). Kenwood branded to go with the head unit, which as I mentioned had the red Alfa Romeo script on it.

Strangely though, they didn't fit the stereo with a trim kit, so there was an ugly gap around it with four small rectangular holes visible. When I fitted my aftermarket headunit, I used a trim kit from Connects2 in the UK (bought on eBay; not expensive - about $30 all up) which fills in the gap around the headunit.

The factory setup for the UK was a specially-shaped silver Clarion unit (with special buttons too), but since those don't do Japanese frequencies, Alfa in Japan put their own branded units in. In NZ you can only get one or two radio stations with the Japanese unit.

The older NZ-new Spider I had was equipped with a Pioneer unit by the dealer in NZ and those are also a common sight in the pre-97 cars. I think they came with a changer too but mine had been removed (it had failed, probably).

-Alex

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
.....The factory setup for the UK was a specially-shaped silver Clarion unit (with special buttons too)....
The European ph2 V6 Spider (incl UK) (& GTV V6s) from 2001 had a black Clarion unit of standard rectangular size, with a separate black surround to fill the gap. This surround is thicker than the after market surround, the latter allows for the extra surround found on modern replacement head units. See attached pic showing the after market surround with my JVC unit with its extra surround

When I bought my 1st V6 spider new in 2001, there was an option to have a 6x CD changer in the boot with the clarion unit

This for information only as it does not answer the OP question! ;)

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts