Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son`s 156 ( `04 1.6 TS ) has been laid up ( 2 months ) due he is working abroad. I told him I would start it and give it a run every few weeks. Tried to start it with a charged battery , turns over fine but won`t start. There is a relay chattering and the engine management light is flashing in unison ( very quickly ) . The chattering seems to be coming from below the throttle body or at the back of the engine and not the relays in front of the battery. Disconnected the battery and cleaned ( spray switch cleaner ) the two big connectors on top of the throttle body to no avail. Connected a laptop to it with ECUscan and it can read the airbag ECU but not the engine ECU.....seems to think there is a connection problem.....yet the airbag ECU will talk to me. I would appreciate some advice. Is the ECU located at or below the throttle body ?....is there a relay down there ?

Thanks in advance ...........Dannyboy:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Repair to the ECU

Hi All, I followed Pemtec`s lead and found it was all just as he said. The same "capicator " dislodged with very little encouragement and you could see the connection to the circuit board was in poor condition. I soldered the capacitor back on , was very difficult , used a supported magnifying glass and a small soldering iron and managed it . Hope I didn`t disturb any surrounding circuitry. Connected the ECU back into the car, things had changed, the chattering and the Engine management light flashing had stopped but I still had an immobiliser light on.The Eng management light went out. Looked promising. I tried to interrogate the ECU with ECU multiscan ( Could in the past , before this current defect ) but it wouldn`t let me in . The car wouldn`t start and I also get a VDU ? i think it was , failure message when cranking. I seemed to have improved the situation but suspect the ECU is fried ?
Any advice ? .......thanks in advance ............Dannyboy.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Sorry my courageous friend but in the attempt to repair the unite, you have touched one of the microfine gold hairs that are welded to the Computer Chip "Dies" and it is now cactus.

The VDC error and the Immo error are the clues. However just as conformation, disconnect the electrical lead that goes to the Throttle body, then try starting the car with it disconnected. It may well start, but of course there is no throttle response as the TB is not connected. It just confirms that it IS the Engine ECU that is "Fubar".

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Bazz Bazz, I don`t think I`ll try that again. You would need to be a mirco surgeon with 10X magnifying glasses and it would still be a risk. I`ll leave the electronics to the electronics engineers. Confirmed power to the ECU in the meantime and no ECU Management light showing confirmed it was fried. I didn`t try your disconnect and start trick......should have really. . In the meantime I bought a "Virginised plug and play" ECU on e-bay from JCcars - Used Car Sales Norfolk ECU programming Norwich, Testing & Repairs, Diagnostics, Car keys Norwich Norfolk.
It worked a treat, popped it in , followed the simple instructions and done and dusted in about 20 minutes......no messing about with coding unit or transponder chips / keys etc. I had a phone conversation with him before I bought it and he said if any issues to return it with my old ECU and he will transfer over the data and if that doesn`t work he will refund my money. Happy to say none of that was required and I would recommend that supplier. 95 Pounds including postage within the u.k. Happy ending. Thanks for the help..........Dannyboy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts