·
Banned
57,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
17,564 Posts
(Taken from the BBC).

The decision to follow the US Navy, announced on Thursday by Mr Hammond, comes after an 18-month review by the navy into the "legal, operational, health, social, technical, and financial issues".

In a statement the Ministry of Defence said: "Women had previously been excluded from submariner roles due to concerns about higher levels of carbon dioxide in submarine atmosphere carrying risks to female health.

"But recent research by the Institute of Naval Medicine showed that these risks were unfounded and that there were no medical reasons for excluding women from service in submarines."

Mr Hammond said: "I am pleased that women will now have the same opportunity to serve on board our submarines, carrying out vital tasks maintaining Britain's defences around the clock, across the world.

"The Royal Navy has always been at the forefront of innovation, and this decision represents another step in its distinguished tradition of recognising the contribution of its people and making the very best use of the talent from which it can recruit."

The Second Sea Lord, Vice Admiral Charles Montgomery, said: "This carefully considered decision will allow the Submarine Service to draw on the widest range of talent and skills of our people - those in service and those yet to join.

"It will therefore enable us to further consolidate our operational success. And it will give our women the same opportunities as men to enjoy a fulfilling and rewarding career in the Submarine Service."

It is not clear if the subs will have to be adapted to welcome women.

Interesting.......and there were also articles a while ago about navy wives not being happy! :lol:

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Durty boys :tut:

The report on the news last night said they would probably be only allowed to serve on the Larger Astute class subs, how would they go about having separate shower and bathroom facilities surely that would mean major modifications to the boat :confused:

·
Registered
17,564 Posts
Durty boys :tut:

The report on the news last night said they would probably be only allowed to serve on the Larger Astute class subs, how would they go about having separate shower and bathroom facilities surely that would mean major modifications to the boat :confused:
I don't think it should be allowed tbh (just my view). I do mean women serving on subs...not the jokes!

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
If that depth charge goes off, there'll be seamen everywhere.

Thankfully it went off too high.

...premature detonation.

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Periscope up ! :D
The don't have periscopes any more :rolleyes:

They have optronic masts :p

I don't think it should be allowed tbh (just my view). I do mean women serving on subs...not the jokes!
I agree DD I'm all for equal opportunities but I don't think that the logistics vs Fraternising and confined spaces will work.

a beter Idea would be to crew the next one HMS Artful with and all female crew :lol:

·
Registered
17,564 Posts
I agree DD I'm all for equal opportunities but I don't think that the logistics vs Fraternising and confined spaces will work.

a beter Idea would be to crew the next one HMS Artful with and all female crew :lol:
I am all for equality also but think it can be taken too far.

The HMS DD filled with gorgeous guys!

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
I didn't realise they weren't permitted...

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Seriously though ... will this mean there will be more sub's that run aground :confused: ;)

·
Registered
14,827 Posts
(Taken from the BBC).

The decision to follow the US Navy, announced on Thursday by Mr Hammond, comes after an 18-month review by the navy into the "legal, operational, health, social, technical, and financial issues".

In a statement the Ministry of Defence said: "Women had previously been excluded from submariner roles due to concerns about higher levels of carbon dioxide in submarine atmosphere carrying risks to female health.

"But recent research by the Institute of Naval Medicine showed that these risks were unfounded and that there were no medical reasons for excluding women from service in submarines."

Mr Hammond said: "I am pleased that women will now have the same opportunity to serve on board our submarines, carrying out vital tasks maintaining Britain's defences around the clock, across the world.

"The Royal Navy has always been at the forefront of innovation, and this decision represents another step in its distinguished tradition of recognising the contribution of its people and making the very best use of the talent from which it can recruit."

The Second Sea Lord, Vice Admiral Charles Montgomery, said: "Phwoarrrrr"
:lol:

Fixed that for ya.

·
Registered
17,658 Posts
I would guess it's more about maintaining the equal opportunities criteria than actually manning
(womening) the boats with women.

From what I've seen of women serving on frigates and destroyers.... they are not welcomed
by the male sailors. Lifting heavy kit, say 19" racks of electronics into a confined bay above your
head, is hard work as is manhandling a lot of the equipment.

If you look on the Navy's website you'll always see a woman at the front of a picture sitting
at a console twiddling buttons. (In fact it's hard to find a page on their website that doesn't
feature the picture of a woman)
But a lot of the work is anything but like that.

Still......

If it keeps the Ladies happy :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts