Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago a drove through a flood, car made through.
Stopped for petrol about an hour later, car wouldn't start, not even turn over. In fact when I turned the key, it cut all dash lights and electrics. Loads of random VDR / ABS errors etc. Thought soaked battery / alternator.

Walked home, went back the next day with a battery booster pack. Car started, gave it a good drive and no problems since. Alternator seemed happy

Putting the winters on today, car slipped off the jack and snapped the left rear handbrake cable.
Ah well I thought, but back to VDR ABS and ASR errors, car won't even start or turn over.
Dash display is dimmed as if battery is dead. Car won't even lock via central locking.
Fuel cut off is fine too.

Bit of a coincidence.
The car slipping the jack wasn't worth then a bad pot hole and the handbrake cable is easily fixed.

Am I just looking at a new battery/alternator or is there anything else that'd cause this?
The errors wouldn't stop the car starting, bit flummoxed here :confused:

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Check earth connections?

L

·
0 Posts
to me it sound like the 'shock' of the car falling of the jack has loosen one of the 2 battery connections.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks lads,

I'll take a look at the connections when I get home.
No electrics at all (Central locking, lights, dash etc,) this morning, dead as a doornail.

As an aside, if the it's not the battery but the alternator that needs replacing, what's the difference between this selection bar manufacturer? And should I avoid any of them?
(Christmas coming and all that so could do without a big bill.)

Will they all fit and do the same job?

L

·
0 Posts
typical, i hit a pot hole with my JTS today, immediatley the ASR/ABS lights came on. I plugged in the computer when i got back & it said the RHS rear wheel sensor was faulty, I cleared the error & it has stayed cleared for 10 miles. wouldn't mind but it was the left rear that went into the pot hole after i steered to avoid a lorry.

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
Can't see it being the alternator...much more likely to be earths - don't forget to check the one onto the gearbox, as well as the ones from battery to the bodyshell. Also check the connections in the box on top of the positive terminal.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all, battery earths. One was slightly corroded so the drop did it in.
Fixed that up and all errors gone, phew!

Handbrake cable is snapped on one side, looks like I can do that

I bloody love this forum,
Thanks lads.

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
:thumbs:

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
Handbrake cable is an easy fix - slacken the front section of the cable at the handbrake end, replace the broken cable, then re-tension the front section of the cable....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts