Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My left front wheel has a wobble and a knock over bumps.
Tracked it down to wear the wishbone meets the wheel.
Is ther a bush there? Do I need a new wishbone? Is it something else?!

Ta
Kev

·
Registered
513 Posts
It's a ball joint, I'd recommend getting it done sooner rather than later. In extreme cases can pop out leaving bottom of wheel unlocated.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a ball joint, I'd recommend getting it done sooner rather than later. In extreme cases can pop out leaving bottom of wheel unlocated.
I'm not driving it at the mo cos of this.
Does this require a whole new wishbone then?

·
Registered
513 Posts
The ball joint is part of the lower wishbone, this is the part you need. I'm sure there will be guide to fitting on the forum if you want to do it yourself.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'm not driving it at the mo cos of this.
Does this require a whole new wishbone then?
Good idea to park it, it sounds pretty bad. Yes, I think a full wishbone. Some cars have replaceable ball joints but don't think yours does.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Is it DIY remove and fit? Or is a balljoint splitter involved?
You'll need a splitter, I just did a wishbone on my 156 and the driveshaft had to come out as well though I've not done a GTV, maybe yours doesn't need it out. As I said, there's probably a guide around here somewhere!

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Should come out without a splitter... undo the bolt that goes horizontally through at the bottom of the upright... tap the wishbone hard with a rubber mallet, then it will normally fall downwards easily enough.

It's a right ***** to get the new wishbone on though... 3+ hours if you don't know what to do

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
If you have never done anything like this before.. and you have no one to help and advise then play safe and take it to the garage.. only about 1 1/2 hours for a mechanic.. If you are good at DIY then getting the old one out is easy.. as Turtle says getting the new one in is a right ******.. the new bushes are a lot stiffer.. you need to know a few tricks..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Changed both mine last month. I would recommend a selection of sockets and spanners. 17mm to 13mm I think, a couple of pry bars, cold chisel or ball joint splitter and patience!!!

Having a few long sturdy bars / screwdrivers will help locating the new arms, I've fitted worse but these will still try to wind you up

Good Luck!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, update.
New wishbone fitted which has got rid of the play in the wheel. But, I still hae the same knocking noise, which is almost as prominent as before.
Iv just jacked it up and had a tug at everything, but nothing really seem to have any play..
Is there anything round there that would cause a knock that I wouldn't have picked up from pulling on stuff?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Cv joint maybe. On mine there was no obvious play in the wheel. I jacked the car up on the offending corner. Removed the wheel then started the car in gear(obviously make sure the handbrake is on hard and you let the clutch out slowly). When I looked at the wheel spinning off the ground there was an obvious wobble showing the CV was gone

1 - 14 of 14 Posts