Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whilst i've got the door card off fixing the handle spring. I thought i'd have a go at the other two probs.

1. is a clattering noise when the window is wound up and down. This i found was due to a loose nut on the scissor action of the regulator. visible from the door when it was half down, so i screwed it in hand tight.

2. is the glass itself. i know the thread is on here on how to adjust the height and angles but my glass physically wobblers when the window moves, and rattles when halfway. its got about an inch play in either direction. How can i tighten it up??

Help please guys whilst the card is off:confused:

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone please??

·
Registered
693 Posts
My window wobbles a lot too when half open - and given the GTV's hard suspension, it is shaken about quite a bit.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok done today. drivers side that is. lowered the windows and the four clamps holding the glass in were very loose. tightened them up and fixed the prob, also fixed the alignment issue, maybe a little too much as the glass seal on the outside has a little gap now. might have to adjust using the 2 lower adjusters. was quite easy to do a bit fiddly but now i just need to refit the card. Have also fixed the door handle by fixing the spring!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
ok done today. drivers side that is. lowered the windows and the four clamps holding the glass in were very loose. tightened them up and fixed the prob, also fixed the alignment issue, maybe a little too much as the glass seal on the outside has a little gap now. might have to adjust using the 2 lower adjusters. was quite easy to do a bit fiddly but now i just need to refit the card. Have also fixed the door handle by fixing the spring!!
Don't fancy a spin up to Sheffield at the weekend to sort mine do you mate? It drives me mad!

Every time I get in the car I slam the door but the window is not adjusted correctly so the door isn't closed fully (rendering the internal handle, on which the spring is broken as well, useless) so I have to wind down the window and pull it shut!:mad:

Just a little glimpse into my morning/evening routine.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if i was still living in hull yes but cardiff is a bit far. i'm no super spanner mechanic but it was quite easy to sort. and i agree it was a bit embarassing having to wind down the window to open the door. give it a go. you need a socket set and screwdriver set to sort it and i used 2 pairs of pliers to sort the spring out. alfa workshop have a guide to sorting the glass out and the tech manual tells you how to remove the card. go on give it a go!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
if i was still living in hull yes but cardiff is a bit far. i'm no super spanner mechanic but it was quite easy to sort. and i agree it was a bit embarassing having to wind down the window to open the door. give it a go. you need a socket set and screwdriver set to sort it and i used 2 pairs of pliers to sort the spring out. alfa workshop have a guide to sorting the glass out and the tech manual tells you how to remove the card. go on give it a go!!
I moved from Hull to Sheffield...small world.
Right, I'll tackle it before the winter really sets in. Nothing boils the blood more than skinning your knuckles when it's -3 degrees!:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I've done both of these things myself and it's not too bad. the major problem is getting the door card back onto the hooks right, while keeping everything in place. You really could use someone with you to help doing this. The rest is quite easy.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i see what you mean about the hooks as i can see about six that need to line up. thats todays job for me.

I moved from Hull to Sheffield...small world.
Right, I'll tackle it before the winter really sets in. Nothing boils the blood more than skinning your knuckles when it's -3 degrees!:thumbs:
Ha, lived in hull from about 2002 to 2004, lived in willerby for a bit then had a flat in pearson park. Worked as a manager at Megabowl for my sins.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Aligning those hooks and the "locking Pin" which sticks through the top of the panel is a real pain! Especially on your own!?

I have sorted the wind noise but seem to have knocked a fuse out somehow which has sent some of the electronics into meltdown:mad:

Wish I hadn't attemepted the wind noise job to be honest:rolleyes:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ha, lived in hull from about 2002 to 2004, lived in willerby for a bit then had a flat in pearson park. Worked as a manager at Megabowl for my sins.
Trained and worked at Hull Royal infirmary for 7 years until 2000, lived off Spring Bank behind 'The Old Zoological' pub. Which would have been an ideal location had I been a heroin addict at the time.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Aligning those hooks and the "locking Pin" which sticks through the top of the panel is a real pain! Especially on your own!?

I have sorted the wind noise but seem to have knocked a fuse out somehow which has sent some of the electronics into meltdown:mad:

Wish I hadn't attemepted the wind noise job to be honest:rolleyes:
Hope you haven't done what I did - there is a connector just below the tweeter which is meant to be attached to a small fixing on the door metal-work. I left it loose and consequently the window caught the wire shorting it out. For a while I had comedy effects whereby the speaker only worked with the window down, and when I opened the door the window wound down on its own and went up when I closed the door, but eventually it shorted further and fried my window motor. Sort it out before you get an expensive part to replace.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thanks Fantom, I will have a look for that.

Something strange has occured, not quite the comedy result that you had, but I have a lack of activity when it comes some of the lights and dials on the dahboard!

I cannot remember seeing a connector just below the tweeter and the small fixing but will defo have a look for it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts