Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all.

got the steering whine problem, and i need some advice.

sometime towards the end of last year, i started getting steering whine. thinking it best to change the reservoir, i ordered a new one and 2 litres of tutela green fluid.
changed it myself and that sort of worked for a little bit but not really. was losing fluid so the whine would come back.

anyway, recently its been getting worse. thinking it might be the rack and/or pump, i took it to autolusso for a saturday surgery check up, but they couldnt find a source of the leak.
with a new rack and pump, i was looking at a quote of £1200.

the other day, i drained the fluid in the res, and dumped a bottle of lucas stop leak in there.
started the engine with the cap off, and after a few mins of idling, the fluid in the res began to bubble, froth and overflow.
turned off the engine, started it back up, and it was perfect for 2 days.

now its back.

so what im curious about is what could be causing it.
now i know where the fluid is going (out the top of the res), im thinking it might be possibly the res is faulty even though its relatively new.
i never topped up the old res when it started to whine, i simply swapped it out as a preventative measure. the old res was most likely fine as it was, just the fluid a little low.

could a faulty rack or pump cause the frothing and overflowing of fluid?

·
Banned
1,828 Posts
It's normally the filter inside the res that causes back pressure throw the return pipe. I'd check the return pipe isn't clogged failing that get a new res and go back to red tutela fluid

·
Registered
10 Posts
Friend of mine had the same problem, changing from the green to red fluid and lock to lock when replacing seemed to do the trick for him. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts