Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check engine light, diagnosed as 'leaves', followed by air flow sensor replacement, followed by turbo replacement, now talking about 'carbon build up in the throttle body'......I am being looked after, they've got me an XE in the meantime, but the thing goes back in five months (3yr lease). I have always called bullshit when people start to prattle on about AR reliability, even in this case, since the bulk of the four weeks is spend 'waiting for parts to arrive' which is more about logistics than it is about likelihood of fault, but this is approaching beyond-a-joke timeframes. I am not at the point of abandoning my intent to replace like-for-like when the term is up but I have started to question it.

I haven't pressed the issue at all - it has been during Christmas which obviously alters things - but how long do I let this go on, with no sign of resolution? What would the rest of you do in this circumstance, just bide your time?

·
Registered
75 Posts
At "normal" times of year it can take 3 weeks or so for parts to arrive from Italy. I personally think, at least while you're being well looked after, patience is the key.
As it's a lease car, it's more in their interests to fix it as they are effectively currently supplying two cars for the rice of one.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Generally, the Giulia is not proving unreliable.

However when one fails in UK, it can take an age to clear the fault. Clearly logistic delays are a factor, but a bigger factor, in my opinion, is the dealer's competence or lack thereof.

An option, if the car is drivable, is to take it elsewhere.

Also you should ensure that Customer Care are aware of the delay you are experiencing. Have you contacted them?

Andy

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers dudes thank you for the advice, I will just keep my powder dry. I don’t know if my critique is fair but the wait for parts seems the most odious part of the equation, certainly everything Bavarian I’ve had in the past has had all manner of parts from rims to replacement head units available in <24 hours. In 2019 unless they’re making parts to order there’s no reason a main dealer shouldn’t be supplied (even from Italy) a lot quicker than they are being. Every new part is described as “on backorder with no date” to me.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
A few years ago I had a brand new Peugeot 308XS the clutch master cylinder failed very early on in my ownership and it took them 5 weeks to get me a new part. Maybe as others have said the Giulia is generally not proving unreliable and that might be why there are not so many available parts for your particular issues? Just a thought?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aye, I’ve no beef with the reliability, nor the dealer treatment. I’ve had enough brand diversity in my time to know the Giulia is not a bad example of reliability. My only question mark relates to how readily parts are available for main dealers. I accept the possibility that my issue is rare and that might affect how quickly things are available - but I don’t see a good counter argument to it being crap that Alfa Romeo can’t provide a main dealer with an air flow meter part I can get myself tomorrow from my pick of online suppliers.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I have some sympathy with what you are saying and in fairness to you we all know that the world is full of pattern parts that will do the job. However do you want the dealers to have the chance to let your warranty go adrift for fitting a non genuine part, I think they would jump at the chance! Play the game and reap the benefits as frustrating as it is, do not let them get out of their commitment to you as a customer.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Five week check-in, car hasn’t moved since 21st dec, I assume they had Frodo sent up a mountain to get this air flow meter. I am halfway towards forgetting about an Alfa for my next in June. I love the car but wilfully opting into this shitshow again would make me a *****.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Generally, the Giulia is not proving unreliable.

However when one fails in UK, it can take an age to clear the fault. Clearly logistic delays are a factor, but a bigger factor, in my opinion, is the dealer's competence or lack thereof.

An option, if the car is drivable, is to take it elsewhere.

Also you should ensure that Customer Care are aware of the delay you are experiencing. Have you contacted them?

Andy
It Poland it works the same - issues with my brand new Giulia infotainment (quite rare MV059... version) Android Auto did not connected reliably (various quality/OEM cables tried) to any phone I tried, depends on phone success rate was varying between say 50% downto 20%. The same phones on the same cables connected each time in showroom cars with newer infotainment MV072..... It took 3 months to: prove them the case, ask through TeSeO Italy for new firmware (5 weeks waiting any reply), they replied to photo firmware version (not sure why, it was listed in complaint as I'm not regular service customer with bit of knowledge), then another week waiting, then they said I have proper firmware and rejected give newer a try... One of 2 things which caused that insdead the first 3 months of owning brand new my spec order car (first ever my own spec) to be only joy, it was frustration and timewasting (other one was issue with mirrors not unfolding for first 30 seconds - one which was corrected also around 2 months after receiving the car, on 4th vistit to dealer; later it was recall 8232 or 35 can't remember the number). SO I said I want brand new Head Unit. It was OKed very quickly, and I thought I will have HU replaced soon, no, it was further 5 months waiting time at the end : first date given was liek 2 months, then when expired no new date given which turned 3 months more - dealer tried many times to get any information, always was bounced without anything precise. When finally new HU arrived, first guy did not know how to make the screen size right, finally we closed the car and when radio fully powered down (actually quicker is to disconnect battery for a few seconds), it started to work. Then it turned AA does not work at all - they started saying me that as in Poalnd it is not officially supported by Google (which is still the case in many countries/languages today, we need to manually download APK as in Google Play it does not exist) it won't work with new firmwares (bullls..t) - I proven them the cars in showroom with the same firmware work all OK, so that shut them up. Luckily immediatelly they contacted TeSeO, and the guy there straight away told them that they must enter settings in Witech for ETM unit and activate Carplay setting. Since then at least phone was starting, but nothing on car display. Again, headscratching, proxis etc no help. Finally we closed car again, waited, and when HU reboooted it worked, and works 100% of time since.
So no any proper instruction for technician in dealership is another big sin of AR. I was lucky I convinced manger to assist the whole replacement (they knew me already and they did a few sins on repairs so I was urging them to do any maintenance on my car with my supervision), as otherwise they woudl tell me some crap and return the car without AA./ACP working at all on new HU (As they tried to do that day). It was only me being difficult customer lead to get it sorted on single visit. But I wasted 6h there that day (including waiting for technician being on lunch, while I was starving and had no place nearby to go - dealer located at sh.thole)...
Premium car price, crappy service mainly caused by FCA replacment part delivery, no service documentation and support depertment being useless (no firmware for try).

Recently one guy complained that his brand new Stelvio Q was down (breaks working binary way in emergency mode, no electronic assist). they said battery discharged but caused by IBS sensor on battery being faulty. Car was down for 2 weeks as no IBS sensor part available, then they said he needs another a few weeks waiting for it. He was pissed off highly but luckily dealer agreed just to take the sensor from stock car to let him drive back the car.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Agree on the parts front, my passenger side rear window trim insert (Black) started to come out of the rubber so under warranty a new one was ordered, 3 attempts it took to get the right part, claims from the delaer that the package was marked up correctly but the part inside was incorrect (wrong side), assume this is something to do with left and right hand drive derivatives.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Time to start moaning at Alfa Customer Services, I think...
5 weeks is a long, long time. Even accounting for Xmas.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you fellas. I am comfortable now that the dealer is doing everything they can. There is no way that parts for this thing are made-to-order - they're all sat on a shelf somewhere and the logistics piece is missing for Alfa to get them into the dealers hands. The diagnostic path they have to tread too is plainly laborious and efficient only in terms of expense to Alfa - try part A (wait), try part B (wait), etc ad infinitum until its fixed - which is fine, as long as you can supply the parts, which apparently they can't.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
... There is no way that parts for this thing are made-to-order - they're all sat on a shelf somewhere and the logistics piece is missing for Alfa to get them into the dealers hands. ...
Until 3 years ago been I'd running a 2004 156 GTA Selespeed from new. Neglecting parts which were out of production, parts not held in UK could be obtained from Italy in 24-48 hours.
In June, my Quadrifoglio needed a replacement temperature sensor for the diff. It took 7 days to get one from Italy and that's better than some Giulia/Stelvio owners are experiencing.
What's changed in 3 years? FCA have gone for an excessively lean supply chain for the current cars, perhaps.
Andy

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thats very interesting, Andy, thank you.

What's changed in 3 years? FCA have gone for an excessively lean supply chain for the current cars, perhaps.
I guess my supply chain would be this lean if I was selling as many Giulias as they're doing. Just another example of their brilliant car being let down by the supporting departments, exactly as per the marketing effort. Still, its pretty easy to sit here and keyboard-warrior the world to rights but if they want to compete with the likes of BM they need to act like it.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
But the real point here tezmo is you should have a replacement, like for like, car to use. You have paid for one, and they have, through their incompetence, deprived you of the use of it.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Sorry, just re read your original post, do you still have the Jag ? If so, ignore me, heading out the door now.........

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeppers still got the jag, its not to my taste but it is objectively like-for-like so can't complain. I'm unsure really who is paying for it - its not a courtesy car, rather a rental, but I don't know if the dealer or AR are paying for it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As I hit the six week mark, got a call today to say the air flow meter part was in - a week earlier than expected, yay! But it didn’t solve the CEL, boo! So now they’re going to do.......the timing belt (!) Twenty something K on it.

I typed out “sorry Alfa, I’m out” then deleted it. I’m not out yet, but this is definitely an abusive relationship. Drove an m850i yesterday, got a puncture in the jag today, I’m going slightly mad.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts