Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A note to those that polybush their car or otherwise have reason to remove the wishbones.

PUT SOME SODDING COPPER GREASE ON THE BOLTS WHEN YOU PUT THEM BACK IN

AND ALFA - PUT PROPER SIZE HEADS ON BOLTS IDEALLY ONES NOT MADE OF CHOCOLATE

I feel better now....

5 hours to remove the wishbone! Pinch bolt and 3 mounting bolts seized. I had to cut them off, dremmel away the captive nuts and drift them out. The two others rounded off - thankfully I could get my stilsons on them.

Now missing two of the bolts (I had new pinch bolts ) so will have to fit the new one temporarily

Pictures of the massacre to follow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
"IDEALLY ONES NOT MADE OF CHOCOLATE" LMAO. What Alfa need to do is design the looks of the car and then let VW do everything else. Btw why Polybush? are they worth it?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To be fair I'm replacing the whole wishbone taking off the ones with polybushes as the ball joints are worn. I'll let people know if I notice much of a difference.

I may retrieve the polybushes if I can do so without damaging them.

NB

Design & Styling - The Italians
Engine - The Italians (Maybe the Germans or Japanese on a good day)
Ergonomics - The Germans
Chassis - The British (or the French if you want comfy)
Build - The Japanese

If someone can sort this every other car manufacturer will be redundant!

·
Registered
334 Posts
A note to those that polybush their car or otherwise have reason to remove the wishbones.

PUT SOME SODDING COPPER GREASE ON THE BOLTS WHEN YOU PUT THEM BACK IN

AND ALFA - PUT PROPER SIZE HEADS ON BOLTS IDEALLY ONES NOT MADE OF CHOCOLATE

I feel better now....

5 hours to remove the wishbone! Pinch bolt and 3 mounting bolts seized. I had to cut them off, dremmel away the captive nuts and drift them out. The two others rounded off - thankfully I could get my stilsons on them.

Now missing two of the bolts (I had new pinch bolts ) so will have to fit the new one temporarily

Pictures of the massacre to follow.
I had the same issue last year and thought the same .****e steel and odd sizes,i think they were 15 or 16mm if i remember .I think i used an af sized socket and hammered it on .I had to cut the head off one with an angle grinder luckily its one i could get at. The pinch bolts would of probably come out if you hit them hard with a lump hammer

Managed to pick up some used ones off the forum and like u say used copper slip when putting everthing back

I measured all the bolts still have the peice of paper with th sizes on if thats any use

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The offer is much appreciated but I've bought a set from Jamie Porter.

Yep 15mm heads on an M10 bolt FFS....The pinch bolt did come out with a hammer but only after I'd drilled down it lengthwise to get some heat into it.

Reminds me I must buy a 15mm single hex socket!

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Here here!

It is even worse on the rear suspension if they haven't used copper slip. can you imaging removing a 6" long 12mm bolt that has 2! stainless crushtubes galled on.

It took me 2 weekends to drill them both out!!

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
This does sound miserable, I guess we've discovered an advantage to living in New Zealand that not many people would think of :eek: Makes a job much simpler when all the bolts come out easily. I know the 6" one in the rear suspension, as I had to take that out when replacing my bump stops - think I gave it a few taps with a big Philips screwdriver and pulled it out with my fingers :)

-Alex

1 - 8 of 8 Posts