Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this subject has been discussed before, but I've just taken delivery on the latest 2005 workshop parts catalogues. There used to be a choice of 155 wishbones- the 16V and widebody V6 cars had different wishbones to the narrowbody and diesel 155s. They are now all the same. The only ones now listed are the earlier or narrowbody type wishbones. :rolleyes: As the n/s balljoint is showing a little free play, my WB will need a new wishbone (after just 20 months- that's why I won't fit poly bushes). I wonder if it will handle the same, or indeed, if the steering will now pull due to a different camber, and possibly caster setting? :rolleyes:

I knew the range was rationalised, but I wonder if this was a consious decison to reduce inner shoulder tyre wear, or more likely to reduce the stock and range for an older car? I am guessing that the WB cars had more negative camber to aid grip and wonder if anyone with a WB who has had a wishbone in the last few months noticed a difference in handling and grip?

M

·
0 Posts
I took the wishys off my Silverstone (skinny) and put them on the V6 (wide).
They looked exactly the same and fitted perfectly. I was always led to believe the parts were the same. The later cars used wishys that were made of a different type of steel or something (can't remember exactly, something about cast and err....yeah the other type).
Neither the Silverstone or V6 suffer from inside tyre wear. I've always said it must be another suspension problem, or the tracking being out to cause that.

The V6 at the moment has wonky TRE's on and it still isn't causing uneven tyre wear, just wonky steering :eek:

W

·
0 Posts
There was talk of different sized ball joint stems from one member here...not sure if he was given one of the "other" 155 bones or one from another car..Fiat perhaps???

Perhaps Ian (AO), GGB or EB spares might shed some light on this?

[scrounge mode on]btw....is this the ne EPER or some other parts catalogue? ;) [scrounge mode off]

wrinx

M

·
0 Posts
I've looked at a few aftermarket sites and they all list just 1 set of wishys for all the 155's.

M

·
0 Posts
BTW, shop4parts are doing the wishys for £28 each.

I just ordered 2, plus new drop links for the V6. Hopefully I'll get it as tight as the Silverstones is............

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo 156 JTD 8v Veloce (2005)
258 Posts
Before the 155 I had a Tempra and in the family we also had a Tipo, certainly did the track arms on those and yes they did have different sized outer ball joints, different diameters and lengths! other than that looked exactly as the same.
Last MOT I needed to replace the arms on my 155 and dreaded the thought of the availability and cost of these, but went to GGB in Bradford - they had then ready off the shelf and about £35 each!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Fiat arms were in two sizes- 17mm and 19mm balljoint pin. BTW, I have a brand new 17mm Tipo one for the nearside kicking about.

The Alfa arms are described as being either cast iron or forged steel.

Wrinx, I haven't had the best of results when asking said contacts parts info. Kevin at EB didn't give me camshaft specs "but would advise) :rolleyes: - not good considering I have tuned quite a few engines in my time. Ian, or someone else at AO dis not respond to an enquiry about Remus exhausts. This is not good relations, and could have led to a sale. :rant: (I believe that I was sold a backbox for the 8v- before AO did Remus- and this will have to be returned for warranty resons at some point as there are cracks appearing around the entry pipe.) A new part could possibly be through AO if a replacement was not in stock with original suppliers.

I know I go on a bit, but, humour me if you're in the parts supply business. Last year the business tured over £150K, and probably £5K-£10K was performance stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts