Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys today i unbolted the heads took of the timing belt but as i went to bolt off my cam pulley the cam just kept spinning on the inside what have i done..... need my car back on the road asap and im on a low budget so decided t haave a crack if anyone can help with answers that be great

·
Banned
10,277 Posts
Hang on a second there mate !

You mean with the head off, you are trying to undo the 19size bolt on the cam pulley, and you are wondering why the cam is turning ?

If thats the case mate, you shouldnt worry at all, because thats the way the cams work ! You havent done anything, but you wont be able to remove the pulleys by hand !
Whatever you do, dont try to jam the pulley from turning so you can undo the bolt :tut:

For this job, you need an air-gun !

If you havent got one, take the head with you to the nearest mechanic or tyre shop, so they can undo the bolt for you. It takes less than 3 seconds when you've got the propper tools ;)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey supercharged16v thanks for replying ,... this foto isnt mine
my heads are still on the block
iv taken the 10 or 12 bolts i cnt remember how many there were when i did that these fell out
iv tried cranking the cam pulley off with a 19 size ratchet but all it does is spin the cam
do i stick a thick screw driver between the cam pulley to get leverage and with a ratchet crank it the opposite way or??/?

thanks alot for replying superchaged

i need to pull my heads out so i can get em machined

Attachments

·
Banned
10,277 Posts
no mate, dont use a screwdriver.

Basically you are going the wrong way with it !

First of all, you shouldnt have removed the head covers to begin with.
Those that fell off are your tappets, and from the picture I can see that one of them is dented ? So thats a problem you need to attend to if thats the case.

Sinse you chose to remove the heads while engine still on the car, this is the list of things you need to do:

1- Drain the oil from the engine from the oil pan bolt
2- Drain the coolant from the engine from under the block - There are 3 number 17 bolts on each side, under the cilinders on the block. On one the right side the first and third bolt hold the side engine mount in place. You should remove the middle one on that side and the corresponding on the other side so that the coolant will drain out of the engine.
3- Remove the exhaust manifolds
4- undo whatever is on the top that holds either your carbs or throttle bodies on the bolt or with each other so that the heads can come off ( check to remove intake plenum, fuel lines, vacuum lines, spark leads, servo vacuum on one of the heads etc )
5- Remove the number 10 bolts ( one on each side ) that hold the black metal timing housing on the block on the lower end ( those can be a bit tricky to remove, you need to be a bit patient with them ), and then the number 13 bolts - one on each side, that hold the same housings on the top of the block ( bolts are next to the alternator mounting bolts - one on each side.
6- there are 3 number 19 bolts on top and 3 on the bottom of each head ( with the covers and cams that you removed still on ). So this is a total of 6 bolts per head.
As soon as you undo those, you can nudge the heads off the car.
The bolts are long and they might hit the side of the engine bay if you try and remove them completely, so dont worry about it, as long as they are undone.

Heads are now off !

To dismantle the heads, undo the bolts that you did previously ( which caused your tappets to fall out ) and then you need to go about removing the valves , unless you will have those done.
Let me know what you decide from there on, if you want to do them yourself, have in mind that taking them apart is easier than puting them back in, and special tools are required.

Hope this helps
Chris

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
chris i think iv confussed you
iv got the engine out of the car sitting on bricks
iv taken all hoses and electricals off
iv drained the engine of any fluids oil,petrol,coolant water etc
carbys are off
sump out
...iv taken the timing belt off its slipped off when i opened the cover for timing belt
do i have to crank the cam pulley nut to take the cyclinder cover off ???
because today i took the six long bolts of the cylinder head cover and went to take the pulley off but kept spinning

what special tools would i need to put them back in

·
Banned
10,277 Posts
You have confused me ! :cheese:

by cylinder cover are you talking about the head cover with the cam and tappets in ?
You dont need to remove the cam pulley to take the head cover off mate, but if it comes to that, you only need an air gun

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes oh my god sorry chris i confuse everyone thanks for the patience

the head cover thats it :)

i went to take my head cover off but its attached to the cam pulley can the heads be taken off without removing the cam pulley?????

also do i got to take the black plastic protector cover for the timing belt off in order to have the head cover completly off ?????

·
Banned
10,277 Posts
no mate, as far as I can rembmer, the head separates from the cam without the need of taking the cam out - thus no need to take the pulley off either !

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
All my photos:cheese:

I use a 3 inch extension and place it on one of the holes of the pulley over the 10mm bolt that holds on the back plate.
The head of the 10mm bolt holds the extension in place and then I undo the 19mm camshaft main nut.

Done this 5 or 6 times and works well.

Only thing that could go wrong is that you mess up the head on the 10mm bolt which are easily replaced but that's never happened even with very tight 19mm cam nuts.

;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
The way you are meant to tighten / un-do the 19mm bolt is to remove the triangular shaped cover plate at the rear of the camshaft. Underneath you will see the rear of the camshaft and there will be a small hole visible. If you have a spare triangular cover, drill a hole in it that lines up with the hole in the camshaft, bolt it on and use something like a screwdriver to lock the camshaft. The actual tool used by Alfa romeo is a plate with a pin welded to it. If you go wedging things where you shouldnt, things get damaged and look awful.

I'd recommend taking off the pulley so you can replace the camshaft oil seals and inspect the camshaft itself. By the looks of one of your tappets, its had a hard life - I'd be replacing them all. The cam lobes should look clean without pitting and not look worn down or rounded over. Also look for scoring or excessive wear where the tappets sit and in the journals where the camshaft rotates.

As far as special tools, for the head rebuild you will need a good torque wrench (for re-assembling heads back to block) and if you want to disassemble the whole head, a valve spring compressor, but your machine shop can do that for you.

Looking good!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey 77sudti
those tappets are not mine i just got photos so people could understand what i was getting to....my tappets are oiyl and smove throughtout all 4 on the left side havent touched the right side head yet

also do i have to take alternetor off?and sprak plugs aswell?
i think i might get a mechanic to put my heads back in after i get them machined id like to stay on the safer side and jus be able to put the engine back in with my father

ripping it out was a bit of a ******* when all ur tools are scatted all over the garage

Attachments

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
The way you are meant to tighten / un-do the 19mm bolt is to remove the triangular shaped cover plate at the rear of the camshaft. Underneath you will see the rear of the camshaft and there will be a small hole visible. If you have a spare triangular cover, drill a hole in it that lines up with the hole in the camshaft, bolt it on and use something like a screwdriver to lock the camshaft. The actual tool used by Alfa romeo is a plate with a pin welded to it. If you go wedging things where you shouldnt, things get damaged and look awful.
Always wondered what that hole was for.
Good way of removing it. Now all I need is a spare end plate.
:thumbs:

those tappets are not mine i just got photos so people could understand what i was getting to....my tappets are oily and smove throughtout all 4 on the left side havent touched the right side head yet
Those are my old knackered tappets. Had to replace the cams also and new gears for the oil pump:cry:
All those metal shavings got sucked up nicely through the pump.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
my tappet chipped today dont know where to get a new one
Do you have a picture of the tappet?
This can cause other damage also. You need to check the state of the cam lobes also.
Change ALL the tappets if you plan to change any.

Also why has the tappet failed? Lack of oil pressure? Worn bearings possibly or worn tappet housings (which I had)?
I had to replace both cams as the worn tappets damaged the lobes.
No good putting in new tappets if the lobes are worn as they won't last long.

OE tappets can still be sourced sometimes from alfasuds or Justsuds or also from Urquiza in Argentina for sure.
Or there are aftermarket tappets like INA (from VW). I have these and are very light. No issues so far. Cheaper also.

Take some good macro shots of the tappet faces and lobes.
Also check each tappets by pressing down hard on the internal part. Very little oil should seep out of the hole, they should be very hard.
If oil shoots out and they are soft then you know for sure they are gone.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanx brit well as i was taking out the head cover a tappet fell out and thats why it chippeed but ill get my mechanic to check the lobes and all

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
thanx brit well as i was taking out the head cover a tappet fell out and thats why it chippeed but ill get my mechanic to check the lobes and all
ah that was bad luck.
Yep check all the clearances and lobes while it's apart.
:thumbs:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts