Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, disappointing response to my trying to sell my Spider.but not really an ideal financial climate to try in, so I guess I must be patient!
Anyway, one niggly problem that I have..I can't get the replacement wing mirrors to respond correctly to the original mirror controller. What confuses me, is that each wing mirror has 4 wires, two for each direction. Yet there are only 6 wires coming out of the controller:cheese: Anybody have a diagram of how they are wired please?
I fitted 2 really nice pancake air filters..and BOY does the engine respond MUCH better!! Thanks to this Forum, I tracked them down, and payed a LOT less for them than I would had to for 'K and N' ones. I heartily recommend them!
I love the new look for the Forum..the backlight on my laptop is starting to dim, and so anything written on a dark background became harder and harder to read..KUDOS!!:thumbs:
Nick

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Nick. You're back:) I've loaned my owner's manual to a friendly garage but will be getting it back soon. I'll check.
Happy to hear about the filters.
Maybe since the mirrors were 'Nicked' (ha ha - that means : "rather cunningly transplanted by 'Nick' ") from a jaguar, the extra 2 wires are for heating them in the cold ? ever tried taking them apart to see if there is a resistance anywhere ? It looks like a new test and try afternoon in the Spanish sun for you... Hope everything works out. Business is also VERY slow here too.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I was hoping you might find time to respond, Guy Daniel ! I know you have some wiring diagrams from your previous kind efforts to help!
As to the wires from the mirrors...there are six coming from each mirror, and as you so rightly say two are for the demister section. There are two motors in the mirrors, which is common to the originals and the Jag ones. So ignoring the two heater ones, there are a total of 8 wires from both mirrors...but only 6 from the controller, of which two are obviously power into the controller, and an earth wire. I am using the controller from an Opel Astra, which has the demister connectors too, so they are out of the problem..I understand where they go! But there are 4 wires to connect to in the door for each mirror, and somewhere along the way before they get to the controller, they turn into 4 which operate BOTH wing mirrors separately... Hahahaha!!
Each mirror motor needs to have two separate feed wires to enable the controller to switch polarity, to give the motor the ability to go into reverse so they operate in both directions. I suspect that one wire from each motor is joined to the other motor as a 'common', and that would mean three control wires coming from each mirror..giving six to connect into the controller. A diagram would be wonderful to actually see how it is done!
Hope your injuries have healed well, and that you are not suffering the 'crisis' too badly! Wish we could say the same here in Spain, but our community seems to be on the brink of collapsing. THAT should be interesting to watch, to see how the Government and Banks respond. I doubt either will be favourable to us PUBLIC victims of Corporate greed!
Cheers!
Nick

·
Registered
480 Posts
In my Jag there is only one mirror controller joystick and a left/right switch to select the mirror you want to adjust. Are you missing the selection switch?

I have the Jaguar XJS wiring diagrams for 1992-1996 models but I don't know if that will help you much as the mirrors are tied into the seat memory ECUs.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks very much Cosmo! No, unfortunately that won't help, I guess!! I am using the original controller from the Alfa, and I can't see anything wrong with it, so I think I am wiring the mirrors up wrongly Although it shuld be simple..if thee were 8 wires coming out of the controller into the harness. All I rwally need is a schematic of the original wiring diagram to see if there is something specific that I am missing. It SHOULD be really simple: 2 wires each from the motors, 2 motors per mirror so eight wires connecting to the harness..but the harness only has 6, of which I presume 2 are power and earth.
Nick

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HELP!! Time is running out!!

I have sold the Alfa, and would like to get the wing mirror working before the buyer takes possession...so...anybody please got a wiring diagram for the 1989 Spider wing mirrors an controller?
Thanks...fingers crossed:)

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Sapnishflyer! I almost forgot, sorry.
Here is a copy of the wiring diagramme for your mirrors. I hoipe it makes sense to you.
Well done in selling the car and I hope you got some miles in her just for the fun.
All the best.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts