Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this was specific, so haven't posted to the dashcam thread...

Has anyone access to a service manual? Or know how easy it is to dissemble the armrest storage compartment?

My dashcam consists of a central unit containing the LCD screen and various peripherals, inducing the cameras, which plug into it. I briefly considered housing this unit in the glove compartment, but couldn't see any way of doing this tidily. Instead I've placed the unit in the storage on the central tunnel. As others have described, there's enough flexibility in carpets and door seals to run the cables for the camera, etc, and these are all neatly hidden away. Or will be when I finish.

I'm running cables under the front seats to the armrest console. Ideally I'd then like them to run up into the console from the carpet - it does seem simply to sit on top of the tunnel. I'd need to open up a small hole in the storage unit to pass the cables through. Can the storage compartment be freed to allow this be done?

I suspect this is likely too risky, but I'd be delighted to hear otherwise. Currently the cables pass up the outside of the console (close to the seatbelt anchor) and in though the small gap at the top, under the armrest. But this last bit isn't tidy enough for me. I don't even seem to be able to get 3M VHB clips to stay in position on the slippy armrest plastic.

Someone please tell me I'm being too fussy in my quest for the perfect installation!

·
Registered
999 Posts
Under the front passenger footwell carpet is the fuse box where you have access to all the power options you need and some good space to install stuff. :)

·
Registered
445 Posts
I think it's important to have a neat & unobtrusive installation. I've installed dashcams in my Giulia (dual), my Wifes' Discovery Sport (dual) and both kids cars, in all cases I bought the proper hardwiring kits and fitted them without any cables being visible (except a couple of inches at the actual cameras).

Neatness is a major reason why I avoid Nextbase and other cameras with huge rubber suction mounts because the sucker and brackets are usually huge so the camera ends up half way down the windscreen.

So, to answer your question, no you are not being too fussy, but...........

........you might be causing yourself extra grief due to your choice of system and the amount of wiring it requires. The dual-camera in my pictures only has two wires, one from the front camera to the fusebox and another from the front camera to the rear camera, it was easy to make the installation neat.

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers guys!

Under the front passenger footwell carpet is the fuse box where you have access to all the power options you need and some good space to install stuff. :)
Found it already; need to review other posts on always on, etc. I already have the piggy-back fuse plug-ins.

I think it's important to have a neat & unobtrusive installation. [...]
Neatness is a major reason why I avoid Nextbase and other cameras with huge rubber suction mounts [...]
........you might be causing yourself extra grief due to your choice of system and the amount of wiring it requires.
I wanted the visible parts to be minimal; I certainly don't want to be packing away the system due to concerns at being a target for theft. As there's no interface on my cameras they are minimal - both front and back are around a 3cm cube - they are hardly visible. I got this system (Koonlung K1S) for my previous car - hardwired next to the fuse box with the screen in a cubby hole, so am not considering other systems at present. Currently I know I can hide all the wires except close to the armrest console.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Found it already; need to review other posts on always on, etc. I already have the piggy-back fuse plug-ins.
The top row of fuses are active with the ignition on (ACC) and the bottom are live permanently. So with the aid of two fuse splice things you can get your two power wires.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think it's important to have a neat & unobtrusive installation. I've installed dashcams in my Giulia (dual), my Wifes' Discovery Sport (dual) and both kids cars, in all cases I bought the proper hardwiring kits and fitted them without any cables being visible (except a couple of inches at the actual cameras).

Neatness is a major reason why I avoid Nextbase and other cameras with huge rubber suction mounts because the sucker and brackets are usually huge so the camera ends up half way down the windscreen.

So, to answer your question, no you are not being too fussy, but...........

........you might be causing yourself extra grief due to your choice of system and the amount of wiring it requires. The dual-camera in my pictures only has two wires, one from the front camera to the fusebox and another from the front camera to the rear camera, it was easy to make the installation neat.
Mount a similar camera, but soon after I found this camera specifically designed for the Giulia, I commissioned the work to install it to a workshop, the sockets are made to the fuse box located under the dashboard, in front of the passenger seat. The camera cost 50 Euros on AliExpress, and the assembly 25 Euros. I have had both systems mounted and I am very happy with this.

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
The top row of fuses are active with the ignition on (ACC) and the bottom are live permanently. So with the aid of two fuse splice things you can get your two power wires.
Actually not completely correct:
The top row ... is active with engine running...

So far I haven't been able to find a fuse powered on key-on and with engine in off in "start-stop"... as mentioned on the other thread.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Actually not completely correct:
The top row ... is active with engine running...

So far I haven't been able to find a fuse powered on key-on and with engine in off in "start-stop"... as mentioned on the other thread.
Same here. It's a pain as the camera goes into parking mode if start-stop kicks in.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's a pain as the camera goes into parking mode if start-stop kicks in.
Eek, that's not what I want :-(. I'm temporarily powering from the 12V socket in the armrest, but the connector supplied significantly impacts my DAB signal. If I use the USB socket this doesn't occur ... but that appears to be permanently live and would cause battery drain.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mount a similar camera, but soon after I found this camera specifically designed for the Giulia, I commissioned the work to install it to a workshop, the sockets are made to the fuse box located under the dashboard, in front of the passenger seat. The camera cost 50 Euros on AliExpress, and the assembly 25 Euros. I have had both systems mounted and I am very happy with this.
Nice find JFRYUN, can you please tell me if your camera came with all the cables / wires needed for installation?
The image quality is OK?
The plastic cover in which the camera is integrated has a good built quality and fits in the original space of the Giulia's plastic cover?
Is the camera from BigBigRoad seller on Aliexpress? I"m asking because you've mentioned a 50 Euro price, but now the camera I found there costs double that price (130USD) therefor I'm not sure it's the same product...
Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Eek, that's not what I want :-(. I'm temporarily powering from the 12V socket in the armrest, but the connector supplied significantly impacts my DAB signal. If I use the USB socket this doesn't occur ... but that appears to be permanently live and would cause battery drain.
Can you not run a positive feed directly from the battery and use something like this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-DC-12...196237&hash=item54597787b1:g:HqMAAOSwam1atccG

With a time delay power off relay like this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1PCS-12V...177256&hash=item2cc0f7a6ab:g:d6UAAOSwstJZP8cC

Obviously fused appropriately :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can you not run a positive feed directly from the battery and use something like this?
Thanks. This thread was resurrected recently. I'm sure somewhere else I documented what I ended up doing, which was locating my dashcam in the glove box, with power taken from a piggy-back fuse in the passenger's footwell fusebox. Works well, although I did need to add some ferrite cores to the camera/power leads to get me back some (but annoyingly not all) of my DAB signal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts