Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about putting a cheap dashboard camera in the Spider but am reluctant to have a cable running from the cigarette lighter socket. Has anyone any experience of wiring a 12v supply from the light fitting at the top of the windscreen or elsewhere on the dash? If so, how did you get it done?

One complicating factor - for the dashcam the power supply will need to turn on and off with the ignition (to control the recording). I know the lighter socket already does this - is it the same elsewhere in the car?

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
You can splice into the cigar lighter circuit at the White plug under the front of the handbrake, accessed via the long piece of trim your left knee rests on.

It's fairly easy to route wiring from here up by the fusebox and fish it up and out between the dash and windscreen

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
You can download an app for the MAC phone (Latest) that mounts phone on suckers to your screen and records your journey and i know a friend who has used the recording to demonstrate liability in a car accident. (Proved the other party was a lying toe-rag)

·
Registered
831 Posts
id be interested to see how you get on and what camera you use as im thinking of sorting this out on my 159.
I've been using a Gopro Hero HD for almost 3 years now, but I have started looking for alternatives as it's almost useless at night. Never used the cigarette lighter socket to power it up, I only used the USB cable from the glovebox on a few long journeys (I don't know if the standard blue&me USB provides enough power, mine is connected to a Pioneer satnav)
So far I've found two very good alternatives (both have wide angle, HD recording and awesome quality at night), Aiptek X1 and Vosonic v737w, and they're specially designed for car use.
Search Youtube to check the quality of the recordings.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
You can download an app for the MAC phone (Latest) that mounts phone on suckers to your screen and records your journey and i know a friend who has used the recording to demonstrate liability in a car accident. (Proved the other party was a lying toe-rag)
Id be interested in knowing what Software that is :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are the options I've been looking at, based on recommendations from owners and the sample videos:

Basic VGA (640x480) ($32 delivered):
2.5" TFT LCD 1/4 CMOS 300K Pixel Vehicle Mount Video Recorder/Camcorder w/ SD/MMC Slot (120 Degree) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

720p HD ($76 delivered)
H.264 720P Wide Angle 6-LED Night Viewing Digital Car DVR Camcorder w/ Mini USB/SD/HDMI (2.5" LCD) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Looking at the videos, the picture quality seems to be quite good on both and there's a considerable jump in price to full HD recording. I've used a 640x480 keyfob camera before now with good results. Obviously I'd much prefer something like a GoPro - especially as it could have some off-car use - but apart from being pricey it also doesn't seem to have the ability to turn on with the power source which is essential. (Turning the camera on and off manually guarantees it won't be on the one time you need it.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts