Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a new CD player last night and when I started the car it idled very roughly so i turned the car off and restarted it then it idled normally so i went for a drive to buy dinner and no issues. today the car wont start. It just keeps winding over with not even the slightest intent to start. any ideas? i Just checked the voltage with my multi meter and its down to 11.50 (probably from trying to start it over and over again.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I found that when I installed my Sony stereo, I had to swap the 12V permanent live and the 12V switched wires otherwise every time I switched on the stereo, it was back to demo mode and I'd have to reset all my settings and preferences again. Something about Alfas wiring not being to the ISO spec, IIRC.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update~ It was not related to my stereo. I found it was a faulty relay that caused the car not to start :)

Did you use a test light Sooty Si? If you dont run the permanent live to the Yellow (On a Sony) you wont be able to save your presets and the time on the head unit.

One thing of concern is that i can not have the stereo on without having the key in the MAR position or turned on with the motor running. Is that normal with Alfa's ?

D

·
0 Posts
All stereos really should be wired so that they only come on with the ignition - saves leaving the stereo on accidentally and draining battery.

However the answer is to identify which wire in the alfa loom is supplying a constant 12v feed rather than a switched live and connect both red and yellow wires from your stereo to it - a lot of aftermarket stereos come with double bullet connectors on each wire now so you can swap the feeds around.
Wiring diags and other info here
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/ice-and-blue-and-me/153629-how-to-install-aftermarket-headunit-guide-147-156-and-gt.html

HTH

1 - 4 of 4 Posts