Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an HP 5510 wireless printer which connects wirelessly with our Mac laptops - both running OSX 10.8.2 and both last printed something about a week ago with no problems.

I bought a new printer today - Epson XP-405 - and went to set it up wirelessly - all ok up to the point it recognised the network - then it just hangs and times out during installation.

Tried the HP 5510 - now just get a message "unable to find printer" and "printer not connected.

I go into settings and it shows printer in use - but no result.

I have been into the Apple and HP forums and loads of people are experiencing similar problems but there does nor seem to be an obvious solution.

Any ideas appreciated.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I also have the HP5510 and am on 10.8.2 Mountain Lion and no problems for ages, and just done a test print to make sure and all is ok.

I did, early on in my iMac/HP "life", have a problem where the iMac, seemingly, refused point blank to see or print when all had been fine a few days before. I couldn't make it work at all, and even got a friend who runs his own IT business to take the printer in to see if he could make it work. What it turned out to need was a reset of my BT Homehub. Did that, restarted everything else and all has been hunky-dory since.

Maybe worth you reseting your hub....?

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
Print a settings page to find out the ip of the printer then try to ping it using the network utility.

Check the settings of the printer queue on your mac, if it pings okay, it may have picked up a new IP and will need changing on the mac.

·
Super Moderator
22,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
U

Print a settings page to find out the ip of the printer then try to ping it using the network utility.

Check the settings of the printer queue on your mac, if it pings okay, it may have picked up a new IP and will need changing on the mac.
Sean - please understand that you are talking to a person who has has no idea whatsoever what you are saying. I am a sad IT illiterate who buys stuff, follows the installation instructions and feels let down when they don't work.

IP, ping and printer queue settings - means absolutely nothing to me.

An analogy - it's like explaining how an engine works to someone with no knowledge whatsoever.

Yep sad old man.

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
IP - logical address on your network, like your house number on your street
Ping - a network command used to verify the connection between two devices connected on an IP Network
Printer Queue Settings/Properties - When you install a printer on a Mac it creates a Printer Queue, the settings include the logical network address if the printer is accessed over a network.

Have you restarted eveything? including the printer? Ensure you keep the new one switched off in case there is an IP address conflict, two devices cannot share the same IP address, although a single device can have more than one.

·
Super Moderator
22,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It would appear to be a Mac OSX 10.8.2 problem. Both Liz and I have the latest MacBook Pros - not bragging just factual.

I even went out and bought another printer - Epson XP-405 and tried to set that up - my pro has no dvd drive so connected an external - couldn't read the set up disc grrr. Liz's Pro does have an internal drive - so we followed the instructions. Set up the printer - it got to the point where you live in hope - then just times out.

In desperation we tried an old MacBook we keep as an external hard drive which runs OSX 10.5.8 - set up the HP5510 - no problem - reconfigured it in about 2 minutes.

We tried both the new Pros - now print instantly. Added the Epson - computers saw it on the network - no problem, can print from both and have set defaults accordingly.

I am so ****ed off - Apple must know that there is a problem but despite spending heaps of time on their forum and seeing other people with the exact same problem there is no generic solution.

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
Are there drivers to download for the OS you use on the manufacturers website?

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Are there drivers to download for the OS you use on the manufacturers website?
i was just about to suggest this. -- go to the printer manufacturers website and look for the latest driver.

download and install - it may mean that you first have to remove/uninstall any previous driver versions, but as i've never owned a mac, i couldnt offer advice on how to do that! :)

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
When did you update to 10.8.2?

It was released some time ago, if you updated and your printer worked fine and it only stopped working when you tried to install a new printer it is that new installation that is causing the problem not OS X, or an update.

·
Super Moderator
22,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Both computers came with 10.8.2 installed and we set up the HP months ago.

The printer just stopped working - it was fine before. Stupidly I bought another one - the Epson- as I assumed it was a printer fault

If you go to either HP or Epson websites you will be told that Apple support their printers and as long as you download the latest Apple upgrades there will be no problem. You cannot download drivers from their sites.

We have the most up to date Mac system downloads but they will not allow a simple printer recognition whilst an old Mac will.

As I say - looking on various Mac forums I am not alone.

It should have been plug and play but it really wasn't.

·
Super Moderator
22,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
No I had not seen that - I'll keep that in reserve - thanks.

It is obvious that there is a problem with the latest OS update so why not publicise it.

My point remains that why on earth should you have to do this when all of the advertising suggests you just plug and go. I did my own research on Apple but did not find this - maybe I am just a bit **** when researching the obvious?

"Hold down the control key ....." It really isn't intuitive is it?

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
I'd just go ahead and reset the printing system, it's fairly complex based on something called CUPS (common unix printing system) and until Apple implemented the reset procedure above problems with its service and configuration were complex and challenging to fix for none technical end users.

You cannot assume that because people are posting on forums about a problem with printing in 10.8.2 that you are having the same problem.

If individuals are having printing issues as a result of updating to 10.8.2 this is different to you as yours worked fine then stopped working.

The question to ask in these scenarios is What has changed?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts