Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what the doodah you plug into a USB slot in your computer to connect to your broadband is called?

Mine that came with the router is knackered. Last time I asked this question someone posted me one but I still don't know what it actually is.

·
Super Moderator
44,780 Posts

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
....by your computer...PC or laptop?....am i thick or do laptops need dongles for your own broadband ?
Most modern laptops have wireless capability (aka wifi) built in. It can also be added to a desktop (or laptop) as a wireless card. Dongles are needed for older laptops (or ones that the wireless built-in is slow or broken!).

·
Registered
14,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Super Moderator
44,780 Posts
That is indeed something else - specifically for connecting to a bluetooth device (phone, headset, etc), not for connecting to a wireless network.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Keith...if it's your PC you're talking about....just use the wired ethernet cable...far better stability.Is it your own home broadband you're talking about ?

In my case we've one PC which is physically connected to the router/modem by ethernet cable and this same router/modem also beams out "magic" wireless signals for our mobiles/tablets etc....

What's your set up ?

·
Registered
14,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Keith...if it's your PC you're talking about....just use the wired ethernet cable...far better stability.Is it your own home broadband you're talking about ?

In my case we've one PC which is physically connected to the router/modem by ethernet cable and this same router/modem also beams out "magic" wireless signals for our mobiles/tablets etc....

What's your set up ?
We have virgin cable and everything is done wirelessly because, although the PC isn't that far from the router, running a cable is a PITA.

Is this right?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150Mbps-WIRELESS-802-11-B-G-N-USB-WiFi-NETWORK-CARD-LAN-ADAPTER-DONGLE-UK-/400534811785?pt=UK_Computing_USB_Wi_Fi_Adapters_Dongles&hash=item5d41bc3489

·
Super Moderator
44,780 Posts
yes

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts