Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the wire for i removed the wheel for the first time since getting the car and there is a disconnected/cut wire behind the front left wheel what can i do about this and whats it for? any reply is greatly appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
30,019 Posts
There are two wires in that area.
1) Brake Pad wear sensor
2) ABS Sensor

Now, a cut/broken ABS sensor wire would have turned the light on and logged a few errors.
A broken pad wear sensor won't be noticed at all unless it touches earth.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if i put up a picture could you tell me which one it is? the wire was actually hanging off and i have the dismembered part in my trunk...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its got a thin metal piece attached to the end of it and the wire is broke and either ends
there is the passenger seat airbag light on in the dash flashing yellow light constantly could that have anything to do with it?

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
I wouldn't bother until you next replace the pads....just keep an eye oin the pad wear from time to time.

S

·
0 Posts
The wear warning is only really any use if you run your pads down to the bare minimum, you do interstellar mileage between services or you don't get the car serviced at all.

Brake pad material thickness checks are done at all services and there is a fair way between worn out and the light finally coming on.

Most are removed because the wire gets caught on the wheel, debris cuts through it, or it gives incorrect warnings. No lose. Cut away any long bit, tape the end up and tuck it away out of harms way.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
30,019 Posts
The wear warning is only really any use if you run your pads down to the bare minimum, you do interstellar mileage between services or you don't get the car serviced at all.

Brake pad material thickness checks are done at all services and there is a fair way between worn out and the light finally coming on.
Low pads will be an advisory at an MOT test too.

But as said, you never want to use the pad wear light as your reference point to change them.

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
Mine fell out the pads ... so just glued them back in for aesthetic purposes :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Mine fell out the pads ... so just glued them back in for aesthetic purposes :)
Sounds more sensible, especially in view of the new MOT rules, to reconnect the brake sensor wire/ renew this. Shouldn't be beyond the wit of man to reconnect/renew this. After all, if you have an Alfa which is out of guarantee you need to be either a millionaire or a home mechanic. What would happen if a keen MOT man decided (under the new rules) it's a failure? Seems removing any wires/bulbs/fuses to warning or other devices/lights can now be dedected. Any factual advice, please, from the experts amongst us?:rant::thumbs:

·
Registered
30,019 Posts
On a 156/147/GT the wear sensors work by shorting to earth when worn.
Removing a wear sensor does not bring the light on and would not be an issue with the MOT.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts