Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cars been off the road for 4 month and have been starting it regular, wipers worked fine before I garaged it but now dont work:confused: .
I have checked the fuse under dash and is fine, is this a common ploblem and does anyone have any ideas?:(

·
Registered
35 Posts
I guess it may not be the same as your problem but my 147s' wipers often totally stop working if I leave them on intermittent for a minute or two. However if I turn the ignition off then back on, they start up again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Went onto google and found old post on here saying somthing about dirty/fouled contacts. going to try to take motor out and have a look.
Let you know what I find.:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I fixed it, stripped off scuttle cover etc to get to motor and had power thru to motor but think with motor having sock type cover it had moisture in it so a lot of wd40 and jiggling its working better than it was.:)

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
Had the same problem on three occasions now.

First was sitting in the queue for NAD last year and as I was almost static at the time it was no problem to turn the ignition off and on again.

The latest was in heavy rain on the M6 Toll doing 70ish which wasn't so much fun! :eek:

I would certainly be interested in what you find because, as usual, these things never happen when you are near anyone who might be able to have a look at the problem and all trace has disappeared by service time.

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
Did the same thing again last week and then finally this afternoon they stopped and not even the 'turning the ignition off & on' trick works.

Could be a problem for the commute tomorrow morning!

·
Registered
452 Posts
I had this issue and it turned out to be the control unit that sits in the well between the bulkhead and the engine bay (the trough under the plastic cover below the windscreen). I have a 156 but i am thinking that the 147 is the same?
You see the Italians thought that they should mount the connections so that they face downwards to stop water getting in from above. Problem is that the trough can fill up with water if the drain holes for the trough are blocked. I took mine to an auto electricians and he managed to clean the connections and save the wiper ECU. You could probably do it yourself and once cleaned give it a good coating of WD40 or some grease maybe to protect it in future.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
Of course they started working as I rolled up to show the mechanic this morning.

He suspects the pump so I'll have a look again later. The pump does show signs of rust, which is really annoying because it is only 1 year old having been replaced with the whole wiper arm unit when that broke last year.

I plan to empty a can of WD40 over it tonight, assuming it is light enough when I get home to do the check!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts