Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, a slight modification on normal question.

The windscreen wipers on my car work fine, they are the one piece jobbies with only replaceable wiper refill bits.

The problem is that the wipers will not park properly. The wipers run fine on full speed going up and down, but not stopping.

However, if they are on intermittent or they are turned off while the blades are mid travel, they do not go straight to park they move downwards a bit them stop, then move a bit more, then stop etc. In long judders. Very weird. Any ideas?

Jimybob remind me of the problem you suggested??

Ta

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Poor electrical connection to the motor is a good bet.

Get in about the connections and clean them up. Give the mechanism and moving joints an oiling while you're at it.

Marlon

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What causes the wipers to stop after a brief period on each of the intermittent settings while working perfectly always on fast setting. Is there a different relay used for different settings.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Andy, Marlon is there, its the same problem as the wipers juddering I think.

JD- I have this on the twinny occassionally, dunno what causes it. I'm guessing a bad contact somewhere but not worth the hassle of investigating to be honest. Just switch 'em on again :D

wrinx

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its the relay box thats fitted on the motor itself,they are about £15 and i would bet that it will cure 9/10 wiper problems..or your money back, :D

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the number is 9950225 £15.64 and it should fit both early and late models.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
your dead right jb, we get loads of them into the garage.sometimes just rubbing the brass rings in the relay box with emery does the trick.
alan
- - - - - - - - - - -
keep her clean :D

·
Banned
477 Posts
Can you by pass the relay or remove it some how, so that you could park your wipers in any position (ie when you switch them off?) this would mean i could park my single arm nicely in the middle :)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alfastu, you should be able to adjust where your wiper sits anyway. Make sure the motor is in it's home position, unbolt the wiper mechanism from the motor. Move the wiper to the position you want, you will see the mechanism move too. When you are happy, rebolt the mechanism to the motor.

Marlon

·
Banned
477 Posts
thanks marlon. I think you have tried to tell me to do that before but I was a bit think in trying to understand. My only thought is that won't you have to line up the 3 holes/bolts between the mech & the motor and threfore limiting the position it parks in?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmmmm.......there is only one bolt which connects my mechanism to the motor spindle. Maybe the newer cars are different ????

Marlon

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
marlon:
Alfastu, you should be able to adjust where your wiper sits anyway. Make sure the motor is in it's home position, unbolt the wiper mechanism from the motor. Move the wiper to the position you want, you will see the mechanism move too. When you are happy, rebolt the mechanism to the motor.

Marlon
Wouldn't this mean it would fly off the windscreen and bottom out?

If the arm is supposed to go through say 60 degrees of sweep from the park position, then you alter the park position to centre. It still has the 60 degrees to travel in one direction......... :confused: Or am I being thick here ???

wrinx

·
Banned
477 Posts
wrinx, that is what I couldn't get my head round originally, you are right, because no matter what position the motor is attached to the mechanism, the set up of the mech means it does exactly the same sweep ....I think
I'm doubting myself now :rolleyes:
That's why I wanted to bypass the relay and/or replace the motor with one so that whenever I switch off the wipers they would park in that position

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You've got it all wrong.....
The mechanism works in a weird way. Take off the cover panel and you will see what I mean. Trust me, I've modified my wiper mechanism and now know exactly how it works. The motor doesn't go back and forth, it goes round and round. The amount of sweep is set by the length of the arm that attaches directly to the motor. It's hard to explain, but honestly, try my suggestion.

Alfastu, I doubt the kit would be set so that the wiper sits up in covers the passenger vision (on a left hand drive) and couldn't be changed. This surely would be illegal in more countries than just the UK ???

Please have a look, as long as the motor is in the "park" position when you attach the mech. to the motor, it will not overshoot.

Marlon

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i think i can see what you mean marlon..it should work,and it would park where you set it to. :)

·
Banned
477 Posts
Marlon I believe you are right. Sadly I realised as I was lying in bed this morning! eek!
If you move the wiper while it is attaced to the spindle, it will of course move the mechanism as well.

I'm going to have a play today wink

·
Banned
477 Posts
I am so stupid sometimes :rolleyes:
Was too cold to fiddle yesterday, so I waited until this morning when it was even colder and blowing a gale :rolleyes: , and it was so obvious what needed to be done. I was looking to move the motor to another position, but all you do is leave the motor bolted on, disconnect the mechanism from the motor pivot, then move the mechanism as if it is wiping to whatever position you want, then tighten it up and voila. Just don't know why I couldn't get my head round it before. No wonder I gat an E at A level physics

1 - 20 of 34 Posts