Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wipers on my 2000 166 V6 Sportronic have started playing up (after the car has stood unused for a few months!). The fault is as follows:

Washers work and the wipers sweep OK when washing
Flick wipe works OK
Intermittent and low/high speed wipe are out of action.

I've had alook around the forum but can't find a similar fault listed.
Obviously it's not the motor or the linkage and I've tried disconnecting the rain sensor without any luck so..........does anyone have any suggestions?
Are intermittent, low/high on a different fuse oir do they use a different relay?
If they do have their own relay, where is it? :)

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good question. Other than trying a new stalk (hard to get over here) is there a way of testing?

·
Registered
754 Posts
I can't see what else it could be. I'd presume the signals are in the stalk rather than further along in an ECU somewhere or at the blades. I'd look at detaching the stalk and checking volts on the appropriate terminals, but haven't done it on the 166. Plus, I could be wrong. paul.o may be along shortly with the relevant info from the workshop manuals. ;)

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS
5,166 Posts
E-Learn

Functional description
The windscreen wiper control on the steering column switch unit H5 selects the various operating modes of the windscreen wash/wipe.

The stalk unit H5 is supplied at pin 3 of connector D from the ignition-operated line (INT/A) of the relay R1 protected by the fuse F14 : both are contained in the junction unit B1 .

The same line supplies the electronic device in the windscreen wiper motor N15 : - pin 3 of the connector B - and returns - from pin 1 of connector B - to the stalk unit H5 .

The windscreen wiper motor N15 is then connected to earth - pin 1 of connector A.

Depending on the pre-selected function, the stalk unit H5 (connector D) sends the following control signals to the internal electronic device to the windscreen wiper motor N15:

from pin 3 of connector C for continuous fast operation: the signal reaches pin 5 of connector A of the motor N15 ;
from pin 1 of connector D for continuous slow operation: the signal reaches pin 4 of connector A of motor N15 ;
from pin 10 of connector D for intermittent/automatic operation: the signal reaches pin 2 of connector A of the motor N15 and the rain sensor K85 pin 5: this signal differs depending on the position of the intermittent function adjuster ring, which connects none, one or several resistors on the line, thus obtaining the different intermittent speeds.
When operated, the windscreen washer switch of the stalk unit H5 sends a signal from pin 5 of connector D to pin 4 of connector B of N15 : this controls the operation of the windscreen washer N20 - from pin 3 of connector A.

The same signal is also sent as a command to operate the headlamp washer delay unit R3 contained in B1 - pin 20 of connector F. ( See E3022 HEADLAMP WASHER ).

The system can also be connected to a rain sensor K85 which automatically adjusts the windscreen wiper sweep frequency.

The sensor K85 is supplied at pin 2 from the ignition-operated line (INT/A) of relay R1 protected by the fuse F9 : both are contained in the junction unit B1 ; pin 3 is earthed.

Pin 5 receives the intermittent/automatic operation signal coming from the stalk unit H5 : this enables the operation of the system and at the same time establishes the sensor's sensitivity.

Pins 1 and 6 connect to the windscreen wiper motor N15 : - pin 2 connector B - indicating, in accordance with the logic described above, the type of automatic operation to be set.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for posting that but I'm going to have to see if I can get my e learn disc to run in one of our computers (it doesn't like Windows 7) - I'll need the wiring diagram to follow it!

·
Registered
258 Posts
My windscreen washers stopped working, thought it was the pump but ended up the stalk, which was rebuilt... don't ask me that that entails... lol :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I finally got round to having a look at this and after a bit of a fiddle around they're working again. I would imagine that it was a dirty connector. Thanks for the help.

The car is now on loan to a couple of friends who needed transport - I hope they're still friends when it comes back!

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
I finally got round to having a look at this and after a bit of a fiddle around they're working again. I would imagine that it was a dirty connector. Thanks for the help.

The car is now on loan to a couple of friends who needed transport - I hope they're still friends when it comes back!
strole on Richard.:thumbs:
My 3 ,all work and don't work differently at different time.It's so intermittent( my god isnt the english language strange) that you dont ken if it's fixed or no until the next time.Hoepfully one will give up the ghost completely and then I'll get beasted in.Until then fingers crossed at Mot season which has just begun again.

I was gonna ask if you still had her after alternaing problemo however you have answered the ?

If they are no friends when they come back,no matter what, they werenie friends in the first place.

Pomeo.

What do you need windae wiper in the desert for. Sandstorms?:cheese: Pardom my conditione ignorance from the Hollywood moovies.:lol:

P

·
Registered
155, 166 & MiTo
283 Posts
The wiper deamon appears to have visited me too!

Sometimes the wipers and washer work as requested. Sometimes they'll switch off all on their own and the arms will move to the parked position even though the stalk hasn't moved from on/inter. Sometimes they won't switich off and continue to sweep after the stalk has been set to off. Sometimes they won't switch on at all, nor will the washers work and sometimes they will just stop mid sweep. But, after a few minutes they always behave again.

V.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pomeo - the sand here is really more like dust and we've had strong winds/sandstorms for about a week now (on and off - or should I say intermittently?) andf everything gets coated. That means that washers/wipers are crucial for providing the visibility required for safe passage through the flocks of high speed Landcruisers!

Variator - that sounds like an intermittent ( sorry ) connection somewhere, either on the stalk or the motor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts