Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 146 2.0 Ti and I turned the ignition on today and all the windscreen wipers on the car are on, I cannot turn them off no matter what I do.

Any ideas on what it could be as well as the cost of parts if applicable?

Thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just came back to work after my lunch and I have had a report the wipers were on while I was away. As I wasn't in the car at the time I find this very strange, even more so considering I haven't told anyone about the wipers yet :S

I was thinking it could be something to do with the fuse or the switch. I don't think it is the motor as they are still working, i just can't turn them off. I think I can just pull the fuse out for the wipers to turn them off but if it rains then I am screwed. Again I don't think it is the fuse as they still work, they have electric going to them, they are just stuck to the ON state.

I am thinking of taking it to an alfa dealer because I don't know what the problem definitely is, what part to get or where and how to fit it.

Any help appreciated :)

Thanks

·
Registered
731 Posts
I had similar problem with rear demister staying on. It was the switch and ended up replacing the entire stalk (same stalk as wipers iirc)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply,

Is it possible to get a new switch or would it be best to get one from a breakers? Also, do you know any good places to get it from?

Thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just an update...... When I started my car about an hour ago to come home from work the horn went mental and I couldn't turn it off no matter what I tried, even with no key in the ignition. I had to disconnect the battery in the end and leave my car at work :(

Could this be a more serious electrical fault?

I am going to call out the RAC tomorrow morning and see if they can do anything.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Sounds like you might have a similar problem to one that I had a year and a half ago. The cause was water getting into the back of the fuse box and playing havoc with the electrics. Have a read of the following thread...

Alfa145.com - Bloody Italian Electrics!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,

Thanks for the link :)

I reconnected the battery and then had a quick look at the fuse box when I had a spare few minutes and did not see anything obvious that the problem could be. I pulled out the fuse for the wipers and it looked fine so I stuck it back in. I then looked at the fuse for the horn and it had burnt out (It suddenly stopped last night while I was trying to figure it out and before i disconnected the battery, now i know why). I then put the fuse from the wipers into the horn to see if it would go off (they are the same rating and colour so I assume it was ok). Nothing happened so I turned the engine on and again nothing happened, I even gave the horn a blow and it was fine so I don't know why the horn went off like it did.

It has been dry all day so I don't know about water getting in, I couldn't see anything and there is no water inside that I can see.

So the horn seems fine at the moment but the wipers are still on for some reason. I will get a new fuse for the horn while I try to figure out what is wrong with the wipers. I thought it might be the wiper controls so I tested the rest of the functions on the switch and the washer jets work fine and so does the rear screen de-mister.

I really don't want to take it into a garage as I know it will cost me a small fortune so any tips on what to try and how to go about it would be great?

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts