Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Having moved from a Mito to a Brera one small but frustrating difference is starting to really bug me.

In the Mito when you had the wipers on any setting, although most noticeable on constant, they would reduce frequency when you were stationary then revert from intermittent to constant when you moved again.

I never appreciated this at the time but now that the Brera does not do this it frustrates me and I find myself having to constantly alter the speed when I stop at lights etc to stop the wipers squeaking. (If it’s not obvious yet I don’t have auto wipers).

I’m aware that settings such as the locking beeps can be changed with a key in/out/fog button procedure. Is anyone aware of any hidden way to change the wiper settings to alter when stationary/moving?

Probably not but thought it would be worth a shot...

·
Registered
707 Posts
I dont think that it has that option, and the rain sensor is kind of neurotic.
It never does what it should do.
Start to whipe hard when it isnt needed, and when its needed it doesnt when it is set to automatic.
I know that you can unplug one of the two connectors that goes in to the black box that is placed at the rear vieuw mirror, but that wasnt your question

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9505 met Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Try Rain x you’ll never need to use your wipers other than a slight lift of the stalk every now -and- then. No more annoying than having to use an indicator stalk. Unless you’re a BMW driver that is. I don’t think they have indicator stalks. If they do, I’ve never seen a BMW indicate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
707 Posts
Try Rain x you’ll never need to use your wipers other than a slight lift of the stalk every now -and- then. No more annoying than having to use an indicator stalk. Unless you’re a BMW driver that is. I don’t think they have indicator stalks. If they do, I’ve never seen a BMW indicate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How often do you need to apply rain x, sounds great because sometimes the behaviour frustrates me.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
As above you are stuck with how it is,but having auto wipers on mine I would happily swap for your non auto ones.
The auto on Alfa’s is shockingly poor and does what it wants when it wants regardless of rain severity.

Sorry to hijack but a poster above mentioned disconnecting a plug,what effect does that have would it revert to a standard intermittent wipe when in auto position?

·
Registered
707 Posts
As above you are stuck with how it is,but having auto wipers on mine I would happily swap for your non auto ones.
The auto on Alfa’s is shockingly poor and does what it wants when it wants regardless of rain severity.

Sorry to hijack but a poster above mentioned disconnecting a plug,what effect does that have would it revert to a standard intermittent wipe when in auto position?
Yes it exactly does that, got that tip from a German Alfa forum but didnt try it out myself yet.

·
Registered
66 Posts
has anybody tried un-plugging auto wipers? mine drive me mad, all over the place going like hell in drizzle not working at all when its chucking it down

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Just to follow up on what I said before on Auto Wipers. We all have the same software and hardware (but wiper blade age might be a factor). Some of us have perfect systems. The difference is how much of a film you have allowed to build up on the screen. The film is mostly diesel slime and you need a cream cleaner to cut through. Disconnecting is so much harder than maintenance.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Just to follow up on what I said before on Auto Wipers. We all have the same software and hardware (but wiper blade age might be a factor). Some of us have perfect systems. The difference is how much of a film you have allowed to build up on the screen. The film is mostly diesel slime and you need a cream cleaner to cut through. Disconnecting is so much harder than maintenance.
I find too much antifreeze in the washer fluid also doesn't help as it can smear and leave a film which is mis-interpreted by the sensor

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Mine has had new Bosch blades,the screen has been thoroughly cleaned and rainex cleaned post cream cleaned. They still do what they please it’s so annoying, barely work when raining and going mental when rain has stopped.

Going back to the unplugging does it have any adverse effects on anything else like auto lights etc? I read that other thread and some said yes some made no mention of it

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Mine has had new Bosch blades,the screen has been thoroughly cleaned and rainex cleaned post cream cleaned. They still do what they please it’s so annoying, barely work when raining and going mental when rain has stopped.
Stopping the software is taking out the only piece of the puzzle that we know works on other cars. The rain sensor reads distortion on the screen. Typically this distortion will manifest itself in a couple of slow wipes (spreading the smear) followed by frantic wiping (it's seen the smear). If the problem was a distorted or scratched windscreen then it would be doing frantic wiping all the time. So there has to be something on your screen. Rainex also do a Clay Bar treatment. But it is messy and long winded. You can also get a polishing kit but that is more targeted at scratches.

·
Registered
707 Posts

Going back to the unplugging does it have any adverse effects on anything else like auto lights etc? I read that other thread and some said yes some made no mention of it
I use Bosch wipers to and clean the sensor very often but it doesnt have any effect.
Stays neurotic and i have exactly the same behaviour that you expirience.
I dont use the automatic light sensor, i allways have them on so other road users see me better.
Didnt use rainx yet, but you do and it makes no difference for you.
Asking myself now if i should try it, when it doesnt help.
Dont like it to trow money out of the window (i am dutch :eek:) so unplugging it is the last thing i can try.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Don't know if it's different on the later 159s but my auto wipers work really well....they are permanently on that setting. Unlike my last Merc...where visibility would be near nothing before they went to work. The only annoying thing is that they don't stay on after you switch off...so when you restart they have to be turned off and on again!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Want to switched with my sensor "laughing" wink.
Wondering what would be different then between the later models?
Software/sensor itself, and what you discribe is another thing i allways asked myself why that is that whay, having to push the stalk up and then back to automatic so it works again.
Must be an italian thing

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Don't know if it's different on the later 159s but my auto wipers work really well....they are permanently on that setting. Unlike my last Merc...where visibility would be near nothing before they went to work. The only annoying thing is that they don't stay on after you switch off...so when you restart they have to be turned off and on again!
That’s different to my 2008 model I can leave in the on position and they work no matter how many switch offs of the car,I don’t need to turn off and on to activate the auto setting

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
My wipers are behaving themselves, a new windscreen and a set of Valeo Silencio blades cured it. These blades are better than Bosch in my opinion. Let the debate commence!!

·
Registered
707 Posts
My wipers are behaving themselves, a new windscreen and a set of Valeo Silencio blades cured it. These blades are better than Bosch in my opinion. Let the debate commence!!
Before i used Bosch wipers i used Valeo but it didnt change the neurotic behavior.

·
Registered
30,033 Posts
Having moved from a Mito to a Brera one small but frustrating difference is starting to really bug me.

In the Mito when you had the wipers on any setting, although most noticeable on constant, they would reduce frequency when you were stationary then revert from intermittent to constant when you moved again...
My Renault Scenic had that feature 20-years ago...!!, so it is surprising it hasn't spread wider.
It is a lovely feature to have, my Twingo has it too. When you stop it steps down from fast to slow or from slow to intermittent.

Doubt it could be retrofitted in any way though and if a car had it you wouldn't want to turn it off so doubt it is just disabled in a setting somewhere.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts