Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had a fully frozen windscreen this morning - thought I'd defrosted enough for the wipers but clearly not the case and they strained against the motor without moving. :mad: having defrosted the windscreen properly the wipers now only work on "fast" setting or "intermittant" (ie holding the lever against spring pressure to keep them going) and won't park at all. So no normal speed, no delay wipe and no park.

I've found some old threads about wiper controllers or relays but no real solutions, anyone got any idea what may have happened - and is it easy to fix? I presume it means taking the dash out, so perhaps a good time to replace the noisy fan motor as well!

All help gratefully appreciated - cannot face putting the problem to the Alfa main stealer - I know he'll want several hundred euros just to have a look!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I did the exact same thing last friday!

Its being picked up wednesday morning to see what can be done.

I can let you know if they can be fixed (and how) or if it needs a new motor etc.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Lazza, knowing I'm not alone makes me feel a little better but I'm still cursing as I imagine you are too! Do you have the exact same wiper options now? Threads about a year ago seem the same, so I guess it must be some particular part, either mechanical or electrical that cannot cope with the stress of motor v frozen water!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Its identical to how you described it!

My left hand wiper sits slightly higher when i manually park them now.

Im annoyed because the cars are delicate enough without me doing something stupid!

I hope it doesn't need a new motor but i suspect it will, Ive found its rarely a cheap fix with the car!

·
Registered
487 Posts
did that too in all the snow in december, day it was going in for the second windscreen replacement since buying it in July... new motor sorted it, apparently it burns something out - either the controller or relay, which is all on-board on the motor. If you want to have a go, it's under the scuttle below the windscreen, remove the wiper arms and then the motor with the linkage attached.

I didn't even try, time and weather were against me - it was in for a service and cam belt so was all done at the same time, and now passed the MOT the other weekend after it's third windscreen replacement in 6 months, booked the MOT for next day so it'd have a chance of being crack-free for the test :)

Dave

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys - pleased to have such helpful response! From what djlat is saying, am I right in understanding that you don't need to take the dash out to replace the motor! that sounds like a bit of a win, since I was anticpating that Alfa would have hidden it somewhere really awkward instead!

I think lazza that my right hand wiper sits higher, but of course note that mine's a left hooker, since I'm in France and so they park on the opposite side I guess (or do they - not so sure thinking about it? - mine park on the right of the sweep when viewed from inside)

Have to say that in three years of ownership I've found my 156sw to be pretty solid and no more bother than any other car - since I spend most of the day on the road and still love driving it that's a real bonus. Spoke about changing it for something practical a couple of months back, but fortunately her good self talked me out of it!

keep me posted please lazza with your outcome :)

cheers

·
Registered
18 Posts
I still enjoy the car every time I drive it as well, thinking about upping the BHP soon so should be even better!

I will let you know how it goes on wednesday (fingers crossed!)

Speak to you then

·
Registered
18 Posts
Bad news!

It needs a new motor, the people I sent it in to quoted me £250.

Alfa main dealer are under £40 to fit it but the part is £180! They say I need the whole thing not just the motor.

My local independant will do it for £170 all in and say they only need to buy the motor so I will be going with them I think.

I may make a few more calls first though to see if I can find a better deal, unlikely though.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Lazza,

give Sunnyside in Dagenham a call, think they are less expensive than your quote, around £100 from memory. They replace the motor and re-use the linkage, assuming that is ok.

Dave

·
Registered
18 Posts
That quote (£170) was from sunnyside!

Im sure they said they re-use the linkage but I will check tomorrow.

They are the only independant I know around here.

Thanks

·
Registered
487 Posts
ah ok, I couldn't recall how much it was when they did mine before xmas, but thought was around £100, not got the bills handy as I'm at work...
The total was a lot higher as I had the cambelt, service etc done at the same time :)

regards
Dave

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Lazza and djlat

you've cheered me up no end! is the motor an easy diy job, do you know? i shall have a look to see if i can get one from a breaker i think - unless someone has been as foolhardy as us then they should be okay second hand i would have thought.

typical of Alfa to insist upon the whole caboodle rather than just the motor. from what has been said above, i understand that the linkage that is probably broken is within the motor assembly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ive bought the motor and linkage for £80 from a alfa breakers through parts gateway.

My mate said he will fit it all for £40 (discounted hours wage) so thats a bit of a result.

·
Registered
22,761 Posts
MOT today, popped to Halfords for a n/s wiper as mine misses some of the screen.

parked next to a chap in a 156 diesel who was putting some wipers on, said hi and went in. after getting the wipers he was still outside with a member of staff who wouldn't help until the fitting fee was paid. Offered to help after the staff had gone. Fitted them after a bit of lateral thinking.

Gave him (John) a flyer and pointed out the benefits of the site.

He describes a similar problem to this, wipers not working properly after being strained on a frozen windscreen.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
I have the exact same problem, however, mine starts working again, well, so long as it's not cold :lol:

I have been told there are 2 different types of wiper motor, 1 with the relay/controller on the outside of the motor and the other with it all integrated into the motor itself, I have the later, for me should be a DIY job and hopefully only the motor will need replacing (held on by 3 bolts IIRC), no dash work needed apparently :thumbs:

See the 'How to' sticky thread in this section to get to the motor area created by efcmandan :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts