Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, Happy New Year!

Just wanted some advice on how to go about diagnosing a problem.

On the way to work this morning I was using the wipers a fair bit, and then a big blob of snow fell on my screen, when I tried to clear it with the wipers, they couldn't return to their seating position properly (which after a few minutes was accompanied by a lovely burning smell) and now they don't work at all, on any speed.

How can I tell if this is a relay issue, or a new wiper motor required?

Also, if it does turn out to be the motors, does anyone have some for sale :p

Cheers
rancid!

·
Registered
394 Posts
In a strange coincidence RS232 came round today with the very same problem and symptoms, as Smaky was here helping me out with the replacement of my sons GTV crank seal his first thoughts were the relay as you smelt burning or the wiper motor, either way, check that the squirters squirt to prove the fuse isn't blown, though they too may be frozen at this point.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Romek

I checked the fuse when I got home, it's absolutely fine, I even swapped it out to be sure. Where's the relay I need to check? Is it just near the motors themselves?

Ta
rancid

·
Registered
920 Posts
Unfortunately on the 156, if the wiper motor gets jammed for some reason (usually people turning them on when the wipers are frozen to the screen), the motor will burn out in a matter of seconds, before the fuse blows. The relay/control is part of the motor assembly, but its your motor that will have burnt out.

·
Registered
555 Posts
This happened to my 146 a few years ago. The car was therefore not driveable and had to be recovered back to London from Yorkshire just because the wipers would not work! (AND IT NEEDED A NEW WIPER MOTOR)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK thanks guys, if anyone is selling some, can you let me know.

Thanks
Rancid

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Unfortunately on the 156, if the wiper motor gets jammed for some reason (usually people turning them on when the wipers are frozen to the screen), the motor will burn out in a matter of seconds, before the fuse blows. The relay/control is part of the motor assembly, but its your motor that will have burnt out.

:eek: yep exact thing happened to me a few years ago ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts