Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly, Thank you to this site for providing so much usefull information and help.

I have just removed the Scuttle panel on my Alfa 156 to discover to my dismay that the baffoons that replaced the windscreen a few years ago didn't care so much as they claim in theyre adverts. Just about everything was put back badly, wrong, broken or just plain left on the workshop floor.
I didn't notice at the time, as i was just glad to have a new windscreen, but the slaphappy manner it was thrown back together has left me with a rotten wiper motor, where the rainwater has been dripping over the plastic sock, Alfa saw fit to waterproof the motor with.

I live in Holland, but drive a RHD which means special orders for certain parts. ie the scuttle panel and wiper motor and linkage, oh and anything on the dash.
I can fix the linkage myself, and its now drying in the garage welded and gleaming black, but my question is, does the motor from a LHD car run in the same direction as a RHD.
I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but looking at the linkage, it occured to me that it could just be a different set up.
Answers or best guesses welcome as i'm looking at 90 quid plus postage from UK to Europe if i can't get one here.
I know your all reading this thinking its an obvious one but i sat with that rusted coathanger in my hands for a hour and couldn't work it out. Can it run in the other direction if the terminals are reversed ? does it need too?
Help.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
440 Posts
As far I know they run in the same direction.
I replaced mine with one from a fiat punto and is working fine.
If you remove the motor from the linkage pay attention to the position of the arm that goes from the motor to the linkage.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks RS232, I'll see if anyone tells me differently before i go ahead and get one here.
However, I'm about to cry, having just realised i made no reference of the motor relation to the crank arm. I have a friend who would love that, we call him MR Retrospect.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Just finished replacing the wiper motor with a good relacement i picked up at the scrappers. 35 euro and a few bits thrown into the bargain. The good news is that the LHD and RHD cars both have the same motor and it needs no rewiring to make it run in the right direction.
However, dismayed at the plastic sock that was meant to keep out the elements, i made a waterproof jacket for the motor from some swimming pool repair patches i found in the garage

After a prefit of the new scuttle panel i sprayed it black as its visible through the scuttle.
Thanks again to RS232 and wa068409 for thier help. Note to self (take photo's and mark everything when taking it apart.
I took plenty of photo's putting it all back together, so if anyone needs help i can post a refit decription with pics for the motor (waterproofed) and scuttle panel.
Love this site. makes owning an Alfa even more fun.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Remember that the "sock" that is meant to keep water out is also the cause for it to rot.
Just be sure that any water that goes in also can go out (mine is only a rubber cover that sits on top of the motor)
The old model had a "sock" that would hold any water that got in and drowns the motor.
Another thing is the arm from the motor to the linkage you will need several attempts to get ir right (that is if you notice the wiper jumping up or down when it parks/starts)
Good luck

Ric

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it thanks. The motor is now watertight except for the terminal end which i left covered but open to allow ventilaion for the motor. I tried to post a pic of what i did, but can't seem to do it at the mo.
It looks something like you discribe on your car i imagine. We shall see how it fairs, but i'm confident its a big improvement on the original.
I found that the rot occures at the motor gearing junction which was where the sock didn't completely cover, leaving it exposed.
Your right about the motor and crank arm possition, but thanks to the pic from wa068409, i found the correct alignment. I also ran both the old and new motor beforehand to check they ran in the same direction, and reset to park possition.
The biggest pain was getting the new scuttle fitted, but after a few time-outs and a cup of tea it went in nice and tidy.
Ps. A tip for replacing the scuttle, is to mark on the windscreen with masking tape and a pen, where the clips should sit, as its impossible to see when your trying to line them up.

Thanks again for your help. I wish i could get these photo's to upload. would be a great help for anyone with the same issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts