Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed my wipers over the other day as the old ones were missing a part of the screen at the very right hand edge, basically where i see out of the window

Helped a little bit, but it looks as if the wiper arm lifts slightly causing a 5cm patch to be missed where the middle of the wiper would go on the right hand side of the screen

I'm guessing the spring has lost a little bit of tension or something? Any advice?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Other posts on this forum recommended bending the arm slightly to increase the tension - it worked perecftly, also I had the problem from new!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Same here - slight bend worked. Just check also that there isn't excessive play in the wiper spindle. The bearing on mine failed after about 18 months and needed replacing under warranty

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
I had my wiper rack re-aligned last month as the arm was hitting the bonnet:(

Ever since, the drivers side wiper misses a bit of the screen.

It also went in for an over sensitive alarm & a window drop problem.

The car is in again tomorrow for all of the (again) & the weird fuelling tank issue:cry:

·
Registered
304 Posts
The wiper arm hitting the bonnet is a common problem. I had a windscreen replaced recently and the fitter said that some Alfa's have paint damage on the edge of the bonnet where the arm strikes it at high speed and during windy weather when the arms can bend enough.
Mine look OK luckily.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
DONT BEND IT.

Put a flat washer under the o/s lower mount and it fixes it. It was a mod I made while working for Alfa.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys

I was thinking of some sort of spacer/washer on the mount Jason, so i think i'll opt for that rather than bending it :)

Cheers

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you mean just take the wiper arm of the splined "tower" and put the washer on there before putting the arm back on?
Ye i'm pretty sure that's what he means, that would obviously raise the arm up slightly, meaning that the spring would pull the arm down a bit further and apply more pressure to the screen to stop it missing that patch

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
No the lower drivers side wiper mechanism mounting bolt put a spacer there as it adds more pressure. :)

·
Registered
498 Posts
Have you already checked, if the hinge (with which you can fold the wiper away from the screen) is moving smoothly? From my experience that hinge runs dry over time and then the spring can't overcome that and the wiper doesn't get pushed enough against the screen.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Have a look at this thread and specifically what I found (AlfaReggie52) and 427 scr's pictoral instruction.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-159-brera-and-946-spider/260077-brera-wiper-eating-itself.html

I wont say that bending the arm wont fix the problem, but as I, 427 scr and Jason have found, it is the plastic spindle part of the unit rotating in the crimped alluminium tube which is part of the unit which usually causes the problem and can be cured with " the large washer" with a small hole which in effect clamps one side of the mechanism to the body and virtually stops the mechanism (around the right hand spindle ) from rotating axially (i.e. in the wrong direction). This then allows the correct amount of pressure to be in the arm to make complete contact when the wiper sweeps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts