Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
AO Member, 166/164 Lounge Winner 09
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to change my wiper blades for about an hour now and haven't even got the old ones close to coming off, despite the help of one other person and the Alfa owner's manual.

If anyone's sucessfully done this on their 166 what am I supposed to do

(its probably really obvious but its beyond me at the moment)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yes, you just push them backwards, but very often there is an adaptor on the blade to connect to the wiper arm and that has a small retention notch to keep it in place.
You´ve probably already noticed that the wiper blades should not be raised when doing this - since they can´t...:)

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
i normally put the wipers on and then turn the ignigtion off when they are in the up position so that they can be pulled forward....makes changing the blades a whole lot easier!

·
Registered
10,966 Posts
Yes, you just push them backwards, but very often there is an adaptor on the blade to connect to the wiper arm and that has a small retention notch to keep it in place.
You´ve probably already noticed that the wiper blades should not be raised when doing this - since they can´t...:)
Yep thats the way I do it....Dont tell Jabber BUT I used to fit new blades for the MOT test and when got home stuck the old ones on and kept the new set solely for mots;) BUT with the 166 I just leave them on.Real fiddley.

i normally put the wipers on and then turn the ignigtion off when they are in the up position so that they can be pulled forward....makes changing the blades a whole lot easier!

:cry: :cry: :cry:
I do that when I go to the car wash ..Put the blades in a vertcal position .................I now know how to do the blades in future...if I can remember as Lacey got new ones last year and pomeo on Thursday there t:cry: o go to Blackpool ..Just as well with all that rain as even with the new :cry: ones visibilty was poor and prats driving with no lights on in treacherous conditions.

Once again top tip Niall.

Cheapskate tip......Does everyone buy the spoiler blade ones OR are they like me and prise the old ones off the old blades and stick them on the new ones which don't have them.:D :thumbs:

Pomeo

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Yep thats the way I do it....Dont tell Jabber BUT I used to fit new blades for the MOT test and when got home stuck the old ones on and kept the new set solely for mots;) BUT with the 166 I just leave them on.Real fiddley.

Pomeo
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And I thought I was tight! I hate old wipers you must have saved your self £10 there!

·
Registered
10,966 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And I thought I was tight! I hate old wipers you must have saved your self £10 there!
Aye but over 10 years thats £100 and saves the rubber trees.:thumbs:

Just don't ask about tyres and exhausts:D :thumbs:

Pomeo

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
is there not a little clip that help it free it up after you push it the wrong way (that might be on the 156 i can't remember)

Pomeo: Good tip on the spoiler...

does everyone use the new type of flappy wiper blades?

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
eBay is good for wipers (£6 versus £16 at my local factor).

I have an unused set (Klaxon) for an Audi 100 that also fit the 164. I offered them to a guy at work with a pop up 200SX, but he didn't have the money last time. It seems they also fit the 33, Arna (any left?) and Sud Sprint Veloce.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I was a bit baffled by this post because I've never had the slightest problem changing the blades on my 166 - until this weekend that is!

Up to now I've always used genuine Alfa 166 blades (usually bought from Partsworld on eBay). This time however I bought Bosch blades from Halfords (Trade discount!).

Getting the old genuine 166 blades off is dead easy - just give them a dunt towards the spindles.

Now the problem - because the Bosch blades have a shorter hole for the hook they must be fitted to the arm with the blade at an angle to it. This is OK for the passenger side because the arm can be raised high enough. But because you can't lift the driver arm up high enough (parallelogram link prevents this) the only way is to take the complete arm off the spindle.

Genuine blades for me from now on.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I was a bit baffled by this post because I've never had the slightest problem changing the blades on my 166 - until this weekend that is!

Up to now I've always used genuine Alfa 166 blades (usually bought from Partsworld on eBay). This time however I bought Bosch blades from Halfords (Trade discount!).

Getting the old genuine 166 blades off is dead easy - just give them a dunt towards the spindles.

Now the problem - because the Bosch blades have a shorter hole for the hook they must be fitted to the arm with the blade at an angle to it. This is OK for the passenger side because the arm can be raised high enough. But because you can't lift the driver arm up high enough (parallelogram link prevents this) the only way is to take the complete arm off the spindle.

Genuine blades for me from now on.
That explains why I had no problem getting the old ones off & nightmare putting the new ones on

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I used to fit new blades for the MOT test and when got home stuck the old ones on and kept the new set solely for mots
I can't believe that, even from Pomeo - that's about as tight as it's possible to be :lol:. Or perhaps not! We should have a Top 10 'tighter-than-a-Scotsman' ideas from forum members ;)

I've got Bosch aero wipers on mine and they are superb. Really effective, quiet in use and no problem at high speed. Not cheap, though.

·
Registered
10,966 Posts
I
I've got Bosch aero wipers on mine and they are superb. Really effective, quiet in use and no problem at high speed. Not cheap, though.
NOT CHEAP:wow:

Thats nae use to me then laddie (TONY):D :cheese: :cheese: :cheese:

do you have spoilers on each side tho tony?

how goods the discount ken? I get mine of ebay BUT I see the Halfords price for the Bosch is getting more reasonable(BUT NOT CHEAP TONY)

MINES BOTH CAME WITH BOSCH'S SO I NEVER KNEW THE EASY WAY.:rant:

Pomeo

Problems with caps lock as daughter smashed up trusty old tiny A360 which I got for free just had to fix the power jack at the back.even got an old motherboard with a fine jack on it....got to buy a new one now £1.60 plus postage...there goes a new set of wipers.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
We are not all as tight as Pomeo :D

I put the new style flat blades on the 166 Ti and there was nothing wrong with the existing ones! - I wanted the fresher uncluttered look. I even left them on after the MOT and when I sold the car! :) The old blades are probably lying in my garage if you want them Pomeo :D

By the way - Am I reading correctly in that you have bought a Vectra! :confused:

·
Registered
10,966 Posts
We are not all as tight as Pomeo :D

I put the new style flat blades on the 166 Ti and there was nothing wriong with the existing ones! - I wanted the fresher uncluttered look. I even left them on after the MOT and when I sold the car! :) The old blades are probably lying in my garage if you want them Pomeo :D

By the way - Am I reading correctly in that you have bought a Vectra! :confused:
or as rich as dougie.perhaps frugal is a better term.
enroute to get your new car i'll meet you in bothwell services for you old new wipers:cheese: changed when nothing wrong with them:cry: now thats magic.did you notice a difference...i certainly did.:D

keeep up its the wife's vectra..it is just over 1 year old and in at the garage getting a new gearbox...well it better be.i tried to get her to get a facelift 166 but she has a dislike of all alfa except the new ones..and i cannae afford one BUT THE 2 166'S ARE RUNING LIKE A DREAM.
I am fitting a new clutch in my daughter's bravo formula.nice wee motor .she has had since enw in 2001.
POMEO.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
As rich as me! - That's rich!! :rolleyes: :p :confused:

A 4 car household no wonder you are recycling wipers - Two of them from new as well, Pomeo :tut: I thought you knew beter than to let them take a depreciation hit like that :cry:

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
or as rich as dougie.perhaps frugal is a better term.
enroute to get your new car i'll meet you in bothwell services for you old new wipers:cheese: changed when nothing wrong with them:cry: now thats magic.did you notice a difference...i certainly did.:D

keeep up its the wife's vectra..it is just over 1 year old and in at the garage getting a new gearbox...well it better be.i tried to get her to get a facelift 166 but she has a dislike of all alfa except the new ones..and i cannae afford one BUT THE 2 166'S ARE RUNING LIKE A DREAM.
I am fitting a new clutch in my daughter's bravo formula.nice wee motor .she has had since enw in 2001.
POMEO.
Do your dreams often have damaged springs? Maybe you should get a new mattress! :D

·
Registered
10,966 Posts
As rich as me! - That's rich!! :rolleyes: :p :confused:

A 4 car household no wonder you are recycling wipers - Two of them from new as well, Pomeo :tut: I thought you knew beter than to let them take a depreciation hit like that :cry:
keep up dougie 5 car famiy...the boys new last year astra.

ill soon need to apply to the cooncil fur a traders licence:cheese: and a car park licence;)

hrya dougie.....i cant afford a new car BUT THE WIFE AND SON CAN...something wrong here (the daughter could 7 years ago BUT NOE NOW:rolleyes: )...YES DEPRECIATION....IF IT WASNT FOR THAT I COULDNT have had my 2 alfies....my first brand new car was a 1984 ford orion ghia ,salesman wanted 2 grand to change the 6 grand car when it was 10 months old.....drove it on its final journey to the scrappy in 1999..(ORIGINAL WIPERS TOO :eek: :cheese: :cheese: ).what a sad day that was....depreciation...it paid for itself 4 times over.:thumbs:

Pomeo

1 - 20 of 38 Posts