Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Katie (P1) needs new wiper blades. Coming back from Bodmin with emergency KFC supplies last night, it was hissing down and driving was akin to threading a needle after drinking a bottle of Jack and chasing 5 dragons. What does the Alfisti Recommend?

·
Registered
13,163 Posts
If Wipex still exist, then get some of them - I think you can find them on eBay.

If not, do a search on here.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Having tried the after market alternatives (inc Wipex - don't look right to me, and costly), I'm a fan of the original arms (available from places like eb spares, shop4parts), and then refilling the blades yearly. Halfords are out of stock of right size refill packs at the moment, so I've ordered 6 Bosch blades for £27 from here:
Wiper-blades-refills.co.uk
I'll post again when they arrive and I've fitted them to the GTV & the 147.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
for a different opinion i think the wipex ones look and work much better than originals on my spider . So much so that i will be putting them on the gtv too in due course. In fact the originals on the gtv actually annoy me now as they seem so large and obtrusive in comparison ,esp when parked on intermitant :)

·
Registered
13,163 Posts
for a different opinion i think the wipex ones look and work much better than originals on my spider . So much so that i will be putting them on the gtv too in due course. In fact the originals on the gtv actually annoy me now as they seem so large and obtrusive in comparison ,esp when parked on intermitant :)
Yep, the best thing about the Wipex ones was that they did not lift off the windscreen at 70mph (and maybe 80 mph once), whereas the original ones used to do that at 55 mph.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry sportsfans - been away looking at prospective buys for clients (including a very tasty Montreal in Belgium...more later) Anyway - went for Bosch 22 and 16 inch originals with lashings of treatment stuff (not Rain-x) and even at 120 mph on the Autobahn alll was good!
Katie can not last much longer the way I drive .....surely?

·
Registered
2012 MiTo 1.4TBi, Past 2010 Giulietta 2.0 170 Veloce, Past GTV 2.0 TS Lusso
111 Posts
I agree that the Wipex ones are much quieter than standard and they do not lift off the screen.
Well worth it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Wipex ones are still listed on website .Emailed someone on the Ebay wipex website and they said they were going to relist in Ebay 9th feb.Going to get some.Cant understand why you would buy old style framed blades these days , apart from price .Modern frameless ones are far superior

·
Registered
366 Posts
Having tried the after market alternatives (inc Wipex - don't look right to me, and costly), I'm a fan of the original arms (available from places like eb spares, shop4parts), and then refilling the blades yearly. Halfords are out of stock of right size refill packs at the moment, so I've ordered 6 Bosch blades for £27 from here:
Wiper-blades-refills.co.uk
I'll post again when they arrive and I've fitted them to the GTV & the 147.
Bad news on this company - took my money and never delivered. Just got a refund from PayPal...

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Wipex ones are still listed on website .Emailed someone on the Ebay wipex website and they said they were going to relist in Ebay 9th feb.Going to get some.Cant understand why you would buy old style framed blades these days , apart from price .Modern frameless ones are far superior
The pedestrian-friendly type were designed for modern cars to meet pedestrian safety standards, and when fitted to standard 'hook' arms, they look hideously ugly with the lump in the centre being about three times the height of the blade. I also wonder how you'd fit a spray bar.

They look neat enough as original equipment, used with arms designed for them (e.g. FIAT 500). However, their lack of rigidity causes shuddering and squawking problems - both when new, and when old. This has become a regular discussion on FIATForum - trying to find blades that work!

-Alex

1 - 13 of 13 Posts