Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having just spent a fair bit on a roof respray, new bonnet, wing attention and grill powder coating, the car is looking spic and span

The only thing letting it down now are the wiper arms. I have looked online for some but usual suppliers don't have them (shop4parts, alfaworkshop, eb etc)

Short of a dealer supply, I was wondering how easy they are to spruce up myself. There is some rust around where the arm thickness changes. Simple rub down and paint?!

There is nothing wrong with them as such, ie they perform well enough

·
Premium Member
7,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What with, just a matt black spray, or is there something specific? (ta by the way!)

D

·
0 Posts
If there is a Modelzone store near you get some Tamiya acrylic model spray paint and the correct lacquer to go with it,
They (modelzone) are in administration so all paints are 50% off

Loads of kits are 30-50% off as well, I've now got more aircraft than the RAF !

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
If there is a Modelzone store near you get some Tamiya acrylic model spray paint and the correct lacquer to go with it,

Oh now that's going to be an expensive shopping spree :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Next question, what do I rub the rust off with, sandpaper for metal? If so what grit, don't want to scratch the metal too much...

G

·
0 Posts
Use a good anti rust primer and satin black not gloss unless you prefer it not matt.
The satin is half way between the two . Gives the depth of colour but not the shine of gloss:thumbs:
This is what is normally used on these.

·
Premium Member
7,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes that smooth hammerite is satin, so will get some of that. Strangely its as cheap in halfrauds as it is on amazon so will get some tomorrow.

I will attempt the massive job on Sat. So on sat night I will be on looking for new ones :lol:

·
Registered
961 Posts
Next question, what do I rub the rust off with, sandpaper for metal? If so what grit, don't want to scratch the metal too much...
Depends how much rust there is. If it's more than a surface coating then it might be worth applying a rust dissolver like kurust first. After that use wet and dry paper. Dry first, then wet. Finally clean with some isopropanol or white sprit and then spray. Don't be tempted to overdo the first coat. Lots of light coats will always give a better finish than a few heavy ones, and in this weather most spray paints will dry very quickly in between coats so it won't take forever.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'd start with 80 grit to remove most of the rust, then a wire brush (ideally on a small angle grinder) to get the deepest rust pores emptied, then 120, 180, 240, 400 sandpaper to make it smooth. No need to go finer than 400 before painting, especially not under matte/satin paint on a small surface.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Did it myself last week. Rub down the rusty bits with a small wire brush first then the whole thing with some fine-ish wet and dry. Give it a wee coat of primer and then I find halfords satin black gives just the right finish to it. No need to lacquer just don't power hose at close quarters!!

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Did mine ages ago. Rubbed down lightyly and spray with halfords satin black. Still looks fine today

·
Registered
1,642 Posts

why did I read this thread, little bit of extra cash in the bank this month and wife has suggested we go into town during the day saturday.

if it reaches divorce (unlikely considering what I spend on the cars as it is) I may have to call on you to confirm it is your fault

·
Registered
360 Posts
i need to do this as well. its been bugging me for a while. Are you guys removing the arms? or just masking them up on the car?

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Remove the arms

·
Premium Member
7,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes its my intention to remove the arms. The lower side is as bad as the upper, so would need to anyway.

Safer that way :lol:

I have my hammerite and sand paper at the ready.....!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts