Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok is a 57 gt, recently purchased and my first alfa. Every thing perfect and in great condition. Gave it a good hour pre sale checking her over. However driving home from work and noticed a small rust line on the back edge of the bonnet. Was the next day after having it cleaned so thought the pressure washer might have chipped the paint off. Got home and had a closer inspection. A 5mm section of edge had all paint down to the metal. happened to glance at the wiper arm and low and behold a matching groove cut into the wiper arm. First off can't believe I missed it, but eh oh, secondly has this happened to any one else? Is worn to clearance now so worried if I get a new arm it will now rub and damage to paint repair?

·
Registered
529 Posts
common fault. there's something broken in the wiper mechanism. a search will find it and there's a fix also but it's a bit heath robinson. I just left mine it never caused any problems other than the look.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This happened to me with..when my wiper linkage broke it rubbed on the bonnet and there is a matching groove on the wiper arm. I think you would know if the wiper linkage is broken though, the elbow snaps and the wiper arm doesn't even work!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the wipers work fine so if it's a common problem most people live with think I'll just seal the metal spot and leave it as is, the if it's not broke don't fix it solution always works for me!

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Well the wipers work fine so if it's a common problem most people live with think I'll just seal the metal spot and leave it as is, the if it's not broke don't fix it solution always works for me!
undo nut pull arm off and fit a couple of splines further round so it doesnt catch bonnet.....its (as said) caused by linkage breaking....if your wipers are fine its been sorted but if arm is still catching it could have been put on in wrong position

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mine went I'm my 3.2 be careful when removing drivers side wiper as it's east to damage an already weak design I managed to really break my linkage trying to remove the wiper arm
In the end had to buy one from auto lusso it cost 100 quid but was a reinforce one
Or if it's broken there's a fix on here if you like to fiddle !

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers all, the linkage must have been repaired as had a look last night and linkage is sound. No need to space it out as had been wearing so much it now has clearance so for now just going to live with it and seal and touch up the worn patch

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I lost a bit of paint like this when for some reason I had the wipers up and bonnet up, and I shut the bonnet without noticing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts